when xbox 360 ps3 slim 45nm RROD

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

when xbox 360 ps3 slim 45nm RROD

Post by dan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:31 am

While I am tempted to buy an xbox 360, the RROD is obviously a huge reason to not do so. THe promised 3 year warranty doesn't offer me much. The ps3 slim has fewer games not including Halo 3.

I know they are using 65nm process when will cpu / graphics transition to 45nm as ps3 slim did (cpu) and will this reduced heat reduce RROD?

If you're an xbox 360 fan you'll know what rrod is.

sNNooPY

Re: when xbox 360 ps3 slim 45nm RROD

Post by sNNooPY » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:51 pm

dan wrote:While I am tempted to buy an xbox 360, the RROD is obviously a huge reason to not do so. THe promised 3 year warranty doesn't offer me much.
I decided in the beginning of the year to get an XBOX360. I've read thoroughly through many articles, user testimonies, etc.
And then I've read this:

Code: Select all

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3472&p=1
And it works!
Jasper really works.
I got my 60GB Pro Jasper about three weeks ago and it works like a charm.
AFAIK, there's not a single documented case of a Jasper which is properly cooled (and by that I mean placed in a good, ventilated space) ever having a RROD.
Microsoft has really improved with Jasper.
dan wrote: The ps3 slim has fewer games not including Halo 3.
I know they are using 65nm process when will cpu / graphics transition to 45nm as ps3 slim did (cpu) and will this reduced heat reduce RROD?
The next version of XBOX will include 45nm CPU&GPU which will be integrated into single chip, but I don't think that you need to wait for that version since Jasper works fine.

PS3 slim is waaay cheaper now, and if you can't decide, get both the PS3 and XBOX360. Both are excellent consoles with their own charms (Halo 3, Fable II for XBOX, Killzone 2 for PS3, etc.)

dan

Post by dan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:41 pm

sNNooPY wrote:
dan wrote:While I am tempted to buy an xbox 360, the RROD is obviously a huge reason to not do so. THe promised 3 year warranty doesn't offer me much.
I decided in the beginning of the year to get an XBOX360. I've read thoroughly through many articles, user testimonies, etc.
And then I've read this:

Code: Select all

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3472&p=1
And it works!
Jasper really works.
I got my 60GB Pro Jasper about three weeks ago and it works like a charm.
AFAIK, there's not a single documented case of a Jasper which is properly cooled (and by that I mean placed in a good, ventilated space) ever having a RROD.
Microsoft has really improved with Jasper.
dan wrote: The ps3 slim has fewer games not including Halo 3.
The next version of XBOX will include 45nm CPU&GPU which will be integrated into single chip, but I don't think that you need to wait for that version since Jasper works fine.

PS3 slim is waaay cheaper now, and if you can't decide, get both the PS3 and XBOX360. Both are excellent consoles with their own charms (Halo 3, Fable II for XBOX, Killzone 2 for PS3, etc.)
thanks!

um, which would be best to play COD Modern warfare 2?

sNNooPY

Post by sNNooPY » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:16 am

dan wrote:um, which would be best to play COD Modern warfare 2?
you mean PS3 or XBOX360?
I'd go for XBOX360...
+ XBOX Live on COD4 is awesome. lots of people play it.
but that's just me...

PartEleven
Friend of SPCR

Post by PartEleven » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:04 am

dan wrote:The ps3 slim has fewer games not including Halo 3.
Oh please. You have to be blind to still be thinking this. The main advantage for the xbox 360 now is the much better online experience (for American FPS games at least). Price-wise both consoles are about the same, and their game libraries are nearly the same also. I challenge you to name more than a handful of third party games that aren't available on the PS3.

lizrdtail

Post by lizrdtail » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:00 am

The 360 also has a great Netflix setup. And Halo!