List of intel and amd power consumption at idle/max?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

not2bhot

List of intel and amd power consumption at idle/max?

Post by not2bhot » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:09 am

I've spent the last hour browsing thorugh this forum and thought maybe someone can point me to the right direction. I just spent over an hour trying to figure out which Intel cpu is the best and it looks like the E8500 may be the best so far. What's a pain is that it's all just bits and pieces of information all over. And now I have to start all over to look an amd system for comparison....

Here's the thing, I'm looking for the right processor to buy and my criteria is that it is low on idle but has power when I need it. My PC is always on and most of the time it spends idling, so that's why I'd like to find one that is best suited as of recently.

Is there a post that users post up their total system power draw? I'm not talking about going to the TDP page which although relevant but not quite real life. Then there's people posting their TDP through some software but again it doesn't say much about the total draw of the system. I'm talking a total system draw that is measured through let's say a kill-a-watt?

It would be nice because I'd rather see that than posts recommending a cpu and then you look at the post date it's over a year old! You'll never know if that the recommendation was still valid.

Is there a place where people post up their system stats?

QuietOC

Post by QuietOC » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:44 am

There is this thread.

not2bhot

Post by not2bhot » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:27 am

That is exactly what I'm looking for thanks!

From my price point it looks like the E8500 or E8400 is doable with a power consumption at around 60 watts.

Is it right that it looks like there's not that many alternatives to the Athlon in the high power low idle systems? I see benchmarks that go head to head with Intel. Phenoms has too much power consumption and I don't think I saw one in the thread above...

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14424/1 - Link to E8500 vs Phenoms I found

In any case I'm going to update the above post with all my machine specs although they're ancient it will serve as a good benchmark.

ACook

Post by ACook » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:14 am

were you perhaps looking for this site?

http://users.erols.com/chare/main.htm

nm, i'm not feeling well, skipped through your post too fast.