GM45 w/ Socket P motherboard

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gbyss00

GM45 w/ Socket P motherboard

Post by gbyss00 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:14 am

What do you guys think about this?

http://www.ibt.ca/v2/items/mi945x/index.html

This is the only mobo based on GM45 chipset I can find as of now and this one comes with PCI-E(16x) slot too.

Im thinking about putting this in a silversone ITX case which I think will have room to put in 9800gt full size card and enuf space for 2 hard drives

only down side is that this costs $335 USD where I can get MSI one with 965gm chipset for $190 ish USD

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:17 am

And you could also get a socket 775 (e.g., MSI IM-Q35) and an E8x00 Core 2 Duo, which would only be slightly less efficient and quite a lot cheaper per MHz. And you would definitely have more options, as far as heatsinks go.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:11 pm

shleepy wrote:And you could also get a socket 775 (e.g., MSI IM-Q35) and an E8x00 Core 2 Duo, which would only be slightly less efficient and quite a lot cheaper per MHz. And you would definitely have more options, as far as heatsinks go.
The reason to go with MoDT is not lower power consumption, but greater heat tolerance. Intel's mobile CPU can handle at least 15C more than their desktop chips. So, by going MoDT you can use a much smaller heatsink and this gives a lot more flexibility in case selection/system configuration.

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:22 pm

jessekopelman wrote:
shleepy wrote:And you could also get a socket 775 (e.g., MSI IM-Q35) and an E8x00 Core 2 Duo, which would only be slightly less efficient and quite a lot cheaper per MHz. And you would definitely have more options, as far as heatsinks go.
The reason to go with MoDT is not lower power consumption, but greater heat tolerance. Intel's mobile CPU can handle at least 15C more than their desktop chips. So, by going MoDT you can use a much smaller heatsink and this gives a lot more flexibility in case selection/system configuration.
Yeah, but just try and find a nice heatsink that would fit on the motherboard! MoDT motherboards tend to use proprietary heatsink mounting hole patterns which don't leave many options. And what's the point of assuming that your CPU will be running at 100 C? Use a big-ish 775 heatsink (no need for anything too huge... 45nm C2D's run very cool), and you're fine in just about any setting. Besides, I assume that the Silverstone case in question is an SG05, which has plenty of room for a Scythe Shuriken or something like that. It's not the most cramped of mini-ITX cases.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:39 pm

shleepy wrote:
jessekopelman wrote:
Yeah, but just try and find a nice heatsink that would fit on the motherboard! MoDT motherboards tend to use proprietary heatsink mounting hole patterns which don't leave many options. And what's the point of assuming that your CPU will be running at 100 C? Use a big-ish 775 heatsink (no need for anything too huge... 45nm C2D's run very cool), and you're fine in just about any setting. Besides, I assume that the Silverstone case in question is an SG05, which has plenty of room for a Scythe Shuriken or something like that. It's not the most cramped of mini-ITX cases.
I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying you should go MoDT when you have no ability to make use of heatsink choice -- you've got a specific space and the only things that will fit are too small to cool a desktop CPU. If you are going MoDT for a reason different than that, it just doesn't make sense. You're assuming the OP doesn't know this, but even if you're right, your arguments are not going to persuade him. MoDT is a lot like going completely fanless, there are some very specific situations where it is the only solution, but most people get obsessed with the idea of it and care nothing about practicality and sensible alternatives.

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:23 am

jessekopelman wrote: I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying you should go MoDT when you have no ability to make use of heatsink choice -- you've got a specific space and the only things that will fit are too small to cool a desktop CPU. If you are going MoDT for a reason different than that, it just doesn't make sense. You're assuming the OP doesn't know this, but even if you're right, your arguments are not going to persuade him. MoDT is a lot like going completely fanless, there are some very specific situations where it is the only solution, but most people get obsessed with the idea of it and care nothing about practicality and sensible alternatives.
Absolutely true. I'm just going by the fact that the OP mentioned a Silverstone case with room for a big video card. That only leaves the SG05 for a mini-ITX/DTX case, or even a bigger mATX Sugo case, presumably.