Asus M4A785D-M PRO..?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mr Evil

Asus M4A785D-M PRO..?

Post by Mr Evil » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:59 pm

I was thinking of getting an Athlon II X2 240e when they become available, which means I need a new motherboard (theoretically it would work in my current AM2 motherboard, but there aren't going to be any more BIOS updates from Abit :( ). I thought I would stick with DDR2 for now, since it's cheaper and it's what most of the other PCs in the house use, and I also thought I might go for uATX because I just don't use expansion slots anymore.

The first motherboard I found that looked suitable was the Asus M4A785D-M PRO. It is brand new, so I can't find any information on it out there at all.

It is based on the AMD 785G chipset, which seems like it might be a good choice for low power consumption, although all the information I can find is from tests on it while using the integrated graphics, whereas I will be using a discrete graphics card. Does anyone know if the chipset has low power consumption by itself?

Any other information or opinions on this motherboard would be appreciated. I must admit that the black and blue colour scheme would look awesome inside my case.

Klusu

Post by Klusu » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:48 pm

Low power, yes, 1W or less at idle.
780g is the same thing, and cheaper.

Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:32 am

Yes, looks like the only difference between 780G and 785G is the IGP. Reviews show a small reduction in power consumption with the newer one, but that could be entirely from the IGP. The price difference is not too much though, so I'm still considering this one.