ASUS Motherboard Memory Support

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kurso

ASUS Motherboard Memory Support

Post by Kurso » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:47 am

I've used ASUS board several times over the years for general builds. I used to have a favorable opinion of them. BUt my last build ruined that opinion. I bought the board based on the ASUS listed specs of memory density. I can't remember what I was looking for because it was 3 years ago but the gist of it is they listed a max capacity of memory but in reality you could only hit half that. And on top of that the max memory speed was listed as 800Mhz when in fact the system was 100% unstable at anything above 667Mhz.

The way ASUS was able to do this was in the qualified memory list they had a single vendor that was supported at the density and speed listed in the spec and all over vendors were qualified at lower density and lower speed. The single vendor was a no name company that I actually could not find a source to buy the RAM.

Now I'm looking for a Sandy Bridge board. I pulled down the qualified memory for the P67 boards from ASUS' site and low and behold only two 4GB sticks are qualified and the rest are 2GB sticks. When I looked at Gigabyte's qualified list it had a bunch of 4GB sticks.

I realize Sandy Bridge is not shipping yet and more testing will no doubt occur but is this typical of ASUS? I do not want to be burned again by them.

mkk

Re: ASUS Motherboard Memory Support

Post by mkk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:45 am

Nah, just wait for more testing. I don't think thant much change to memory is expected but you never know what Intel comes up with on a new'ish platform until the products are out. The longer the time gone by between upgrades the higher the risk of incompatibilites though.