Mini ITX board (DN2800MT, Jetway JNF9D-2700)

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

snice

Mini ITX board (DN2800MT, Jetway JNF9D-2700)

Post by snice » Sat May 05, 2012 8:08 am

Hi every body

I would like to build a mini server for home purpose (nas, ftp, some linux applications, etc). I would like also to use virtualisation (if possible) for multiple os (ubuntu, windows, etc). As the server will run 24/24 7/7, I need a very low power consumption (this is important). I don't need a gpu (even it's integrated) as it will be headless server.

After reading many threads, and googled hundred pages, I found that the intel DN2800MT or Jetway JNF9D-2700 could be a good deal.
I've found the power consumption of the intel board (+-10-15 watts) on this forum but not able to find for the Jetway.

I think that in term of performance the D2700 is better but don't know if there is a big difference in term of power consumption?

Could you please advice me? Do you have another suggestion? What about the power supply? Can I use a basic electronic power converter (with needed power/voltage) or it's better to use a special one?

Note: I live in Belgium, so if you have good (low prices) seller that could ship to Belgium, I'm interrested

Thank you for your help

HFat

Re: Mini ITX board (DN2800MT, Jetway JNF9D-2700)

Post by HFat » Sat May 05, 2012 2:27 pm

The Intel is almost certainly more efficient.
It comes with an integrated DC/DC converter which means you won't need a PSU (just an efficient AC/DC brick) but which also means you might not be able to power two demanding drives. I tried powering up a 3.5'' drive and it worked but not two simultaneously.

The D2700 is significantly better but consumes more power. That's not the main issue anyway. Atoms don't consume much anyway (unless you make their IGP do 3D work or you overclock them). The boards are where most of the power is wasted and the only proven alternative to the DN2800MT is the old D945GSEJT. All the D2700 boards will very likely consume a good bit more.

If you happen to live near a border, maybe you could ask someone living on the other side to order a board for you.
ou can get lower prices in countries with lower VAT.
I don't know about Belgium but, aside from the VAT issue, common parts are almost always available at competitive prices in some German online shops. Many of these shops would ship to Belgium but shipping often makes them more expensive than local shops once all costs are taken into account.
Ask a Belgian forum where people order their parts. There's got to be a way for people in Belgium to get Intel parts locally at a decent price!

snice

Post by snice » Sun May 06, 2012 2:17 am

Thank you for your reply!

Then I will keep the Intel board... About the power supply can you advice me an efficient one?

Another question about the enclosure, I thought to the M350 mini-ITX, what do you think about that? Can I use it completely passive or it's better to put a fan inside ?

HFat

Post by HFat » Sun May 06, 2012 5:36 am

I've never used the M350 but it should be fine without any fans as long as you don't use a very hot drive (or any other very hot part or power-hungry bus-powered USB device).

I can't recommend a specific power brick. I don't care so much about saving the last few watts since power plants around here aren't burning fossil fuels. So far I've always used bricks I already had on hand which were branded by a decent supplier and had a decent rating.
If you want a very efficient brick, I suggest you talk to an electrical parts supplier or some kind of forum frequented by experts. Tell them you want something that's very efficient with a DC draw in the 6-12W range. Some computer-oriented reviewers have also reviewed a few bricks. For instance: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?na ... 8&reid=207

Going over your first post, you are aware of the lack of virtualization extension on most Atoms including the ones we're talking about, right? It doesn't mean you can't virtualize of course but maybe not as you had wished (no KVM, limitations on VirtualBox and so on).

washu

Post by washu » Sun May 06, 2012 10:32 am

Just be aware that these Atom CPUs don't have the Intel virtualization extensions (VT-x). That doesn't mean you can't run virtual machines, but some virtualization software will have limitations and there will be a bigger performance hit. Unless the VMs you want to run are going to be very light weight you should look at a more powerful CPU or re-work your software to all run on the same host.

snice

Post by snice » Mon May 07, 2012 6:30 am

Thanks to all for your help. Finally I've ordered this configuration:
- DN2800MT
- M350 enclosure + Fan
- 12v 60w power supply
- 4GB DDR3

For the storage, I'm hesitating for an SSD, because of the lifetime... Maybe I'll put my current 500gb 2.5"...

Do you know if the latest Ubuntu 12.04 is fully supported? I know that for the GPU, there is some issue with old ubuntu version (kernel < 3.0) but in my case I won't use the GPU.

HFat

Post by HFat » Mon May 07, 2012 9:54 am

snice wrote:For the storage, I'm hesitating for an SSD, because of the lifetime... Maybe I'll put my current 500gb 2.5"...
You might have lifetime issue with a random USB Flash drive but if you're willing to pay the money one of the halfway reputable SSDs costs, you won't have lifetime issues unless you put a very heavy load on it (the kind you might see on some multi-user servers and for which they make even more expensive SSDs).
The benefit of an SSD might be small in your application anyway. You didn't say exactly what you want to do so.
snice wrote:Do you know if the latest Ubuntu 12.04 is fully supported? I know that for the GPU, there is some issue with old ubuntu version (kernel < 3.0) but in my case I won't use the GPU.
Ubuntu might never be fully supported. Certainly the current stable version isn't. People just started working on this...
But all it means for a headless server is that you might lose a couple of watts and get higher temps.