It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MSI P67A G43 Mobo - disappointing fan control options
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:25 am 

Hi everyone

Just wanted to post my experiences with MSI's P67A G43 motherboard.

I installed a i5 2500k + SCMG / Radeon 6850 + Gelid Vision system into it, with the SCMG default fan on the CPU_header and the Gelid vision on a motherboard header (The Powercolor Radeon 6850 has a 3pin header that is closed on the sides, does not except a 4pin fan).

While the motherboard in general is probably good, I think, the fan control options leave much to desire.

The CPU comes with 1 CPU_PWM header + 4 sys_fan 3pin headers.

CPU Fan Control
By default, the CPU fan is set to 100%. Why that is the case is a bit of a mystery to me... but i went into the UEFI to change it up.

You have the option to set some kind of "smart fan" function. Basically, choose the minimum CPU fan speed (%) and a target CPU temp. the fan will ramp up to max only in order to maintain that temp. I set mine to min speed = 0% with a target of 60C. Very silent at basic tasks but painfully loud when i load it with prime95.

I kind of wish there was a more comprehensive fan profiling option. like... ramping up slightly at certain temperatures and whatnot. Do other motherboards not have this option either?

Sys_fan control
First gripe off the bat. You can only modify settings on 2 of the 4 sys_fans! Sucks.

You have the option of setting 50%, 75%, and 100%. I don't see why they couldn't include a 25%. And everything in between! I set the gelid vision to 25% via speed-fan and it becomes inaudible over one of the Antec Tricools in the p183. Soon, I will replace that case fan with a Scythe Slip Stream.

There you have it. Not much in the way of built in BIOS control. I am worried about what happens if more fans are installed. Can the 3rd and 4th sys_fans be controlled via software in the OS? blargh.

Memory: Corsair XMS3 2x2GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24
GPU/Cooler: Radeon 6850 w/Gelid Icy Vision
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V100 64GB + WD Caviar Green EARS 1TB