How to fully install a cpu and a motherboard?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

johnlee

How to fully install a cpu and a motherboard?

Post by johnlee » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:49 pm

I'm planning on building my first pc and I know how to do everything except when it comes to the cpu and the motherboard. I know how to put it on and take it off, etc. but the only thing that I'm not quite sure of is what happens after you put everything together?

My friend told me that you have to do something with the bios, is that true? And what do you have to change on the bios if you do? Thanks you for answering in advance.

Dr. Jim Pomatter

Re: How to fully install a cpu and a motherboard?

Post by Dr. Jim Pomatter » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:24 am

johnlee wrote: My friend told me that you have to do something with the bios, is that true? And what do you have to change on the bios if you do? Thanks you for answering in advance.
I believe that you are asking about how to set up the BIOS for installing Microsoft Windows from a DVD drive? Take a look at the following guide. It is a bit outdated, but still correct.

"...set certain options in the Computer's BIOS (usually by pressing 'F1' or 'Del' a few seconds after boot.) These options will be explained in the motherboard manual. In general, the default options are OK, but you may wish to set the computer's hardware clock to the correct time and date. The BIOS is also where you determine the default boot order of the system, typically Floppy, then CD-ROM, then Hard Disc."

Once you have the right boot order, you can install your OS.
How To Assemble A Desktop PC/Software