It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Effectively undervolting E5200 - how?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:56 am 

Hola,
I have a server (E5200 + GA-G41M-ES2L + 2 HDDs) – naturally in this case, speed is much less important than power consumption. So I thought it would be a good idea to toy around voltages: I whipped out my cheap power consumption meter, and entered the BIOS.

I found very little usable info on how to effectively do this, so what I did was simply lower the multiplier to the minimum and lower the vCore step by step. I've gone down to 0.85 (from the default 1.2), but – while the system was stabile, I found no traces of lower consumption.

Before the system idled at around 48W, after the setting it was like 45-46W. As I have a cheap measuring device (with a fault rate of prop. 3-4W), this could be next to nothing.

Is there something I did wrong? What is the lowest Watt rate one can get via such settings?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Effectively undervolting E5200 - how?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:00 pm 

Most E5200's automatically reduce speed and voltage from 2.50 GHz to 1.2 Ghz and 1.1 V core voltage when idle. This feature is called Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST). Forcing the speed and voltage lower than the EIST values does very little for additional power savings.