Basic question - Lazy motherboard upgrade?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

david25

Basic question - Lazy motherboard upgrade?

Post by david25 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:58 am

Hi everyone, I have a 'noob' question regarding a motherboard upgrade;

Currently, I have an ancient (2006) Socket 479 Core Duo MOTD / Intel 945GM / Intel ICH7 motherboard with:

- GTS450
- Asus DS
- Two AHCI SATA drives
- Vista 32bit RETAIL

What would happen if I plugged the VGA, sounds and drives into a new H61 Express + Core i3 motherboard?

Would Vista mange to boot and allow me to install any required MB drivers?

I am looking for the laziest way to upgrade without re-installing Vista and all applications.

The last time I did this, perhaps 10 years ago, I was using XP, which actually coped OK (I went from Intel to Intel).

Many thanks for any replies.

HFat

Re: Basic question - Lazy motherboard upgrade?

Post by HFat » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:39 am

I've never worked with Vista but the biggest problem I got moving XP installs around used to be drivers for the system drive. In your case, that shouldn't be a problem.
Reinstalling in place also used to work decently (some settings were picked up from the existing install and so on). So that might be an option if Vista refuses the new mobo without reinstalling.

But first make sure you can't offload the existing computer on someone else (why waste a good mobo+CPU+RAM and the system building work?) and that you're going buy a mobo with compatible slots for your cards.

david25

Post by david25 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:06 am

HFat wrote:I've never worked with Vista but the biggest problem I got moving XP installs around used to be drivers for the system drive. In your case, that shouldn't be a problem.
Reinstalling in place also used to work decently (some settings were picked up from the existing install and so on). So that might be an option if Vista refuses the new mobo without reinstalling.

But first make sure you can't offload the existing computer on someone else (why waste a good mobo+CPU+RAM and the system building work?) and that you're going buy a mobo with compatible slots for your cards.
Thanks, I plan to sell the mobo+CPU+RAM on ebay once I get the upgrade working.

(I'm upgrading for more gaming performance).

Any other hints, or has anyone else tried this typs of thing?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:39 am

I don't see that you should have any major problems, apart from maybe a few reboots to complete the updating of drivers, etc. As you have a retail version of Vista reactivation issues are unlikely, assuming that is that reactivation is required. Any of your other software that has required activation may trigger a reactivation request, but probably no more than asking you to confirm that the program is only being run on one machine. Sometimes software that requires activation may have a deregistration or deactivation option to facilitate a change of hardware - it might be worth checking to see if this applies to anything you currently have installed.

Post by 1337 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:59 pm

david25 wrote: Would Vista mange to boot and allow me to install any required MB drivers?
95%, yes. It should not go beyond a few reboots to get your system up and running. Worth a shot, imo.

david25

Post by david25 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:22 am

Just a quick update, I installed a Asus P8H61-M motherboard, plugged everything back and Vista booted without problems. Installed the latest Intel INF drivers and after a reboot I was back to normal.

Thanks for your help.

fork8210

Post by fork8210 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:11 am

I never tried the Vista. All my old computers are powered by XP.