Intel Celeron G460 micro review

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tramall

Intel Celeron G460 micro review

Post by tramall » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:22 am

I just had a chance to test newest Celeron G460 and decided to share my thoughts

Test setup : Intel DH61AG , 32GB transcend mSata SSD, 2GB RAM (1 stick) , Dell 90W brick , Low profile dynatron k199 1U cooler . Windows 7 prof. 32bit

Power usage:
Idle : 15-16W
1080p (avatar trailer) : 19-21-22W
LinX (problem size 10000 , memory used 772MB) : 26-27W

It is quite difficult to rate this processor, so decided to point out pros and cons.

+ Low power use during 100% CPU(only).
+ CPU is cool (max 60 Celsius in small case with fan spinning at 950RPM)
+ passive cooling should be easy in this case

- despite being 35W cpu, it is sold with normal height cooling. All T versions have nice little 1U compatible cooler. If anyone's buying such a cpu, there is a big chance he will try to squeeze it into something small. I understand this is no T version , but come on....
- poor performance . It is faster than atom (even the new one) but it is much slower than G530. It is simply in atom , brazos league in terms of raw performance .
- price : for a $3-$5 more You are getting much faster G530 , and You still need to get low profile heatsink. This CPU should cost $29.99 or 19.99 euro or 99zł ;) .

Did not perform any other tests (except geekbench : 2338 points). But if anyone is interested in particular tests , let me know.

Personally , I am disappointed . I expected it to be more lively , snappier , and more responsive. It feels like G530 with one core disabled.

The only scenario I imagine for that cpu is if You already have 1155 board lying around and want to build small cheap pc which is not atom or brazos. Or You can stick big after market cooler on it and have fanless setup.

HFat

Re: Intel Celeron G460 micro review

Post by HFat » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:54 am

Going by the spec, it's slower than a G530 with one core disabled.
The D2700 Atom should actually be slightly faster at some tasks but is definitely much slower for single-threaded stuff so overall the G460 is indeed faster. But that single-threaded performance comes at the cost of much larger power consumption. Not worth it IMO.

The G530T (a fine CPU, probably what you wanted) is like $10 more.

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:59 am

Even for a university student only-affords-spaghetti-and-ketchup budget, I'd choose the dual core g530. Do you think that CPU would be snappy enough for usual work, i.e. web browsing, Office, and music at the same time?

washu

Post by washu » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:13 pm

kuzzia wrote:Even for a university student only-affords-spaghetti-and-ketchup budget, I'd choose the dual core g530. Do you think that CPU would be snappy enough for usual work, i.e. web browsing, Office, and music at the same time?
A g530 would be more than enough for that. It's still a Sandy Bridge dual core, just with a bit less cache and a couple of features turned off.

HFat

Post by HFat » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:31 pm

kuzzia wrote:Even for a university student only-affords-spaghetti-and-ketchup budget, I'd choose the dual core g530. Do you think that CPU would be snappy enough for usual work, i.e. web browsing, Office, and music at the same time?
The G530 is quite powerful compared than the dual-cores people were paying big bucks for only 4 years ago.
10 years ago, software was getting more bloated pretty fast. Not anymore.

Aside from high-res Flash vids, you can do what most people do with their computer just fine with worthless computers people throw away.
Someone with a very small budget has no business buying a new computer.

The reason we're advising against the G460 like we advised against its predecessor is that you can get much better for a small fraction of the cost of the motherboard, not because it's not capable.
A decent 8 y.o. laptop still sells for a good bit more than the G460 while being a good bit slower. That should tell you something about their usability.