Optimal CPU/chipset/mobo for a passively cooled PC..?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

canardlover

Re: Optimal CPU/chipset/mobo for a passively cooled PC..?

Post by canardlover » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:48 pm

And now to my conflicting temperature readings with my pc at a stable idle:
1) looking into "Touch BIOS"(see pics) I find System Temp at 30 deg.C and CPU at 19 deg.C (=ambient)
2) going into BIOS Setup with <Del> key I find System Temp at 25deg.C and CPU temp at 23deg.C
3) touching the Z68 chipset radiator fins with my fingers I estimate it to be around 50deg.C.... :shock: ..!

...so I´m quite a bit confused regarding the temp. discrepancies and worried about the (to me) surprisingly hot chipset.... :?
As you see I have the HR-02 cooler fan in place spinning at about 650 rpm with similar readings in both "Touch BIOS" and BIOS.

...any ideas to share with me..?!...Thank you.....Cheers/Harald
Mucho macho fläkt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:48 pm

It might be worth trying an alternative temperature measuring utility such as the free to download CPUID HWMonitor.

canardlover

Post by canardlover » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi lodestar and thanks for your suggestion. What I did was to install "Speedfan" again since I have some experience with it but I cannot find any of the temp readings corresponding to what I estimate at the Z68 chipset.... :( ..!(maybe Temp 3 being closest)
Anyway, I then installed Prime95 and performed a stresstest of the CPU and below you can see the results with the fan at 650rpm at idle and spinning up to about 1100rpm during the test. I'm rather pleased with the result - all 4 cores well below 50 deg.C.. :D
...Cheers/Harald

PS...I must say that the 140mm Thermalright fan is really silent, at 650rpm I just cannot hear it even with the case fully open just in front of me. And it does make a huge difference - I pulled the fan cable during the stresstest and had to abort the test immediately.. :mrgreen: ...so I will keep it.... :mrgreen: ..DS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.