One More Reason not to buy Ivy Bridge

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ces

One More Reason not to buy Ivy Bridge

Post by ces » Fri May 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Seems more and more that Sandy Bridge may be a better choice for a CPU right now than Ivy Bridge... unless you really really need the extra GPU power of Ivy Bridge.

Some new features that were launched with Ivy Bridge apparently make it less secure than Sandy Bridge chips:
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/05/15/inte ... nightmare/

Mats

Re: One More Reason not to buy Ivy Bridge

Post by Mats » Fri May 18, 2012 8:30 pm

"maybe" and "likely", they're just speculating, there's no proof that it's an issue for all systems.
One More Reason...
What are the other reasons?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri May 18, 2012 8:41 pm

I couldn't get past the first couple paragraphs of ranting - tldr. I'll wait for other sources to comment on whether Vpro is good or a gateway to evil.

faugusztin

Post by faugusztin » Sat May 19, 2012 1:04 am

Seems like someone doesn't understand why this technology exists in first place (i mean Charlie). It is not for you, typical home user, you should turn it off. It is for you, corporate administrators, where if there is an attacker, you have a bigger problem than a single compromised computer. Secondly, anyone who ever tried to enable AMT VNC connection will know how hard it is in the first place. I don't see it as realistic for a virus/trojan to change BIOS/UEFI settings, configure the whole AMT thing correctly, configure port redirects on the corporate firewalls and allow this way to use any of vPro features remotely.