Motherboard for E3-1245v2

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fode

Motherboard for E3-1245v2

Post by fode » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:31 am

HI,

I intend to DIY my first silent PC/Workstation, I have shortlisted E3-1245v2 based on the passmark result (actually I quite like i7-3770 but after reading some articles, I think ECC memory has taken priority). Here comes my second problem that is to select a motherboard that can fully unleash the power of this CPU. My requirements are as below :

1. Support ECC memory
2. USB3.0
3. Best is using the C216 chipset which I think it is the chipset that specially for E3 12x5v2 series

I came across Asus P8B-WS and P8C-WS, however, local vendor may not have P8C-WS which I preferred. The weakness of P8B-WS is it just support upto 1333MHz for the RAM vs 1600Mhz for P8C-WS.

Anyone can help to let me know if there are others motherboard that meet my requirements ?

Also, if someone are kind enough to advise me the GPU that I should use (I would like the graphic card to support 3-4 monitors e.g. ATI firepro), casing, PSU, etc, of course all the suggestions should take "silence" as priority :)

Thanks

Delta_42
-- Vendor --

Re: Motherboard for E3-1245v2

Post by Delta_42 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:14 am

I'd go for the Supermicro X9SAE-V or X9SAE (the only difference that I can see is that the -V variant has an extra PCIe x8 slot.

As for the case, well that depends on what you're doing with it, there are plenty of big towers around, and that CPU won't need any exotic cooling. If you're using external graphics, then you do you really need the integrated graphics on the CPU? An E3-1240v2 might be more suitable and slightly cheaper. Same goes for the PSU, Without a powerful GPU something like the new Seasonic 360W 80Plus Gold unit would be plenty.

One thing we've found building servers is that server class boards don't play nice with many aftermarket coolers. We've tried several coolers on Supermicro boards only to find awkwardly placed capacitors near the CPU socket preventing their installation.

Again, depending on planned use, you could consider the Matrox M9148 4 port graphics card which is passively cooled.