Intel vs Gigabyte Z77 board and speedfan?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

potsy

Intel vs Gigabyte Z77 board and speedfan?

Post by potsy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi all,

It's upgrade time here. I've been thinking of buying the Intel DZ77GA-70K because the review here shows it has 4 controllable fan headers that read all sensors and works with speedfan: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Intel_DZ77GA-70K. But my neighbour who is helping me suggests a cheaper Gigabyte alternative GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP : http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=4192#ov.

Does anyone have any experience with the Gigabyte? I really like speed fan, so particularly does anyone know whether speedfan will work? (It's not listed on the speedfan site.)

Thanks
Potsy
Last edited by potsy on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Intel vs Gigabyte Z77 board and speedfan?

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:52 am

I'm not familiar with the details, since fans isn't my thing ;) but the Asus boards are popular for their fan controller abilities. If fan control is your thing, check out the Asus mATX Z77 boards.

The Intel boards are considered very high quality (Intel NICs etc) and are therefore a bit expensive.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:49 am

As to intel boards and fan control:

Intel boards are said to have the most usable BIOS based fan control architecture. So, if tuned rightly, you'll not need to use speedfan (which could potentially screw up and not raise the rpm if all goes wrong) in the first place.

As to the mentioned Gigabyte: I haven't had one myself nor do i happen to know someone owning one.

potsy

Post by potsy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks for your replies. I'm still deciding. I think:
Intel: great control with supplied software. CPU fan must be PWM (my fans are Nexus three pins).
Gigabyte: Three pin control on CPU fan and sys1 fan. Sys 2 & 3 PWM only.

Looks like people have had some trouble setting up the Gigabyte boards with speedfan, but this thread shows it can be done: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1742628.

If I can afford it I'm leaning towards the Intel board, mainly because the SPCR review says speed fan works and if it doesn't the supplied software is good (although I want to find out if the minimum fan setting includes zero!).

potsy

Post by potsy » Fri May 17, 2013 4:25 am

Just thought I'd leave a note that I went with the Gigabyte board and the system 1 fan works fine with speedfan. Don't know about the others because I don't have any pwm fans but no reason to think they wouldn't work too.

HellDiverUK

Post by HellDiverUK » Fri May 17, 2013 1:14 pm

Gigabyte and Speenfan is a poor job compared to an Asus board with FanXpert.