Gigabyte fan control for Haswell

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CA_Steve

Gigabyte fan control for Haswell

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:38 am

Anand interview with Gigabyte. Easy Tune fan control starts at 24 min. They've implemented some level of fan min/max testing as well as letting us set many points for fan profile.

flemeister

Re: Gigabyte fan control for Haswell

Post by flemeister » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:54 pm

Here's a concise written overview, with photos, from the Legitreviews review of the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2191/2/

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:06 pm

Unfortunately the controls from within the BIOS itself are still really terrible. I think I might try an Asus board instead.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:21 pm

Vulcan wrote:Unfortunately the controls from within the BIOS itself are still really terrible. I think I might try an Asus board instead.
Asus for bios purely isn't that great either, asus becomes really good with FanXpert, imo better than everything in the market in terms of fan control.

But if you want pure bios, intel is decent(check my HTPCMI build on my sig), lets me drop the Scythe fans to 250-300 they are rated on pure bios, but just on CPU socket (i used an akasa 5x pwm splitter). MSI is also decent, different than intel, with % and temp thresholds to setup the fans ramping, in the build that i just did for a friend, i couldn't use the last preset of % of fan speed due that TY141 would click on that fan speed, so i had to go one up, and setting the temp at 55C, the TY141 spins at 700rpms, the case fans (scythe slipstream and scythe kamaflex2) around 600-700, its pretty quiet (not silent), my guess is if i had only slipstreams i would have been able to drop it last preset making it totally inaudible.

So in conclusion, if you want great fan control get an ASUS board but you will need to install fanXpert (asus AI Suite), if you are those kind of people that dislike having extra programs loaded on your pc and want pure bios.... then get good PWM fans that can be drop extremely low, if you can all the same, get a PWM fan splitter so you use the CPU socket only (its the only one that can drop really low), and get MSI motherboard.

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:32 am

Abula wrote:Asus for bios purely isn't that great either, asus becomes really good with FanXpert, imo better than everything in the market in terms of fan control.
Hmm, maybe I assumed too much from looking at the bios screenshots:

From browsing the manual, it also looks like you can set a Max CPU Temp, Fan Max duty cycle and Fan min duty cycle. Am I missing something here?

I have other reasons for not wanting to run an Intel board (mainly that this system will eventually be a hackintosh.)

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:51 am

Vulcan wrote:From browsing the manual, it also looks like you can set a Max CPU Temp, Fan Max duty cycle and Fan min duty cycle. Am I missing something here?
This is my experience only with GENE IV and GENE VI, with 2x Noiseblocker 120mm PWM fans PL-PS. With bios no matter what setup as preset (slent, standard turbo) had no effect on the fans (on both GENE IV and VI), the minimum rpms on the bios seems nice I blelieve the last is 200rpm to 600rpm, but dont do anything to my fans either, the PL-PS can drop down to 650 or so, manual with temp threshold didnt do anything to it, still my rpms on idle are 900-950rpm and when the temp goes up it the rpm increase to 1100rpm or so. Overall its not a bad setup, this is how i ran it for 2 years on my GENE IV, as i couldnt control the frontal fan with fanxpert1, the setup was very quiet, but not innaudible, this is what the new GENE VI with fanXpert2 brought, now my frontal fan 180mm idles at 430rpm (before was 600rpm undervolted with fanmate2), my Noiseblocker PL-PS fans now idle at 630rpm isntead of the 950 restriction that was the lowest i could achieve on bios in both boards.

Now i just did a build with MSI Z77-G43, and the bios was better in fan control, while asus has similar values their behavior was not reflected thrully on the fans, while on the MSI i did see each preset handling the PWM fans lower and lower, i couldnt use the lowest out of one fan started to click, so i had to stay one before the last.

One thing worh mentioning is that the PL-PL on the FANXPERT2 graph stared at 630rpm at 0%, not like the chart above where 0% there is no rpms, so could be that the fans that i used cant be used on bios to got that low cause of the restriction that bios has, i bielive its like 20-30% as the minimum, so take my comments with a grain of salt could be that the fans are design differently that i cant drop them as low on bios and i need FanXpert2. I never really tried this fans on the MSI motherboard, nor i tried scythe fans on GENE IV or VI, so could be the fans that are not allowing the drop on pure bios.

But out of my limited experience, im going to recommend more MSI on pure bios, it did work fine with Thermalright TY141 (macho fan) and Scythe Slipstream 120pwm, the TY141 was able to drop to 700rpm, same that i was able to achive on my intel mobo on pure bios, the msi was able to drop it lower i believe like 630rpm but in ther the fan clicked, so i had to pull the setting one up in the bios. But if i had only scythe slipstreams PWM i could have easily used the last preset, the slipstream should have gone below 600rpm.

If you go with ASUS share what you experience and with what fans.

Mr Spocko

Post by Mr Spocko » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Just use the easy tune to set the fan curve. It writes it to bios you don't have to have the software boot up with it.
It would be better with more bios control no question, but hardly a deal breaker IMO.

At least Gigabyte have been supporting voltage control for 3 pin fans, more than can be said of some makers

Zolishoru

Post by Zolishoru » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Easy Tune 6 is a resource hog. It will cause audio and video playback problems; for details look up "dpc latency checker', run the test with and without ET6, the result will speak for himself.
Anyway, there's still an use for ET6(at least for me): run on startup, do the hardware setup, exit, then use Speedfan to control the fans, even in voltage mode - like I do now(MB:990FXA-UD3).

Mr Spocko

Post by Mr Spocko » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:02 am

Zolishoru wrote:Easy Tune 6 is a resource hog. It will cause audio and video playback problems; for details look up "dpc latency checker', run the test with and without ET6, the result will speak for himself.
Anyway, there's still an use for ET6(at least for me): run on startup, do the hardware setup, exit, then use Speedfan to control the fans, even in voltage mode - like I do now(MB:990FXA-UD3).
ET6 is not required to start up when the pc starts it writes the fan speed to bios. You can just start it once, exit it and uninstall it if you want (I just leave it on no start up for my pc)

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:27 am

Mr Spocko wrote:ET6 is not required to start up when the pc starts it writes the fan speed to bios. You can just start it once, exit it and uninstall it if you want (I just leave it on no start up for my pc)
Fan settings are not being written to the bios for me.

Zolishoru

Post by Zolishoru » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:21 pm

Vulcan wrote: Fan settings are not being written to the bios for me.
Same here.