What is the lowest power Ivy Bridge Mobo?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Lupine Lacuna

What is the lowest power Ivy Bridge Mobo?

Post by Lupine Lacuna » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:30 am

A simple question, is there a simple answer? The processor will be something like i3 3220T

Thanks!

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: What is the lowest power Ivy Bridge Mobo?

Post by Vicotnik » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:10 am

I'd say the Intel boards. DH77DF, DH77EB or some of the cheaper H61 boards perhaps. The MSI boards are also doing quite well.

Lupine Lacuna

Post by Lupine Lacuna » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:11 am

Thanks Vico. The problem is that those Intel boards are always out of stock/not possible to purchase in the UK! Has anyone else found a solution to this?

Is there any data compiled anywhere about this either?

Thanks!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:34 am

Lupine Lacuna

Post by Lupine Lacuna » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:21 pm

Having now looked into it, Haswell looks like a good option, just because the mobos are so much easier to get hold of, for example, Intel's BOXDH87RL

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:27 am

Might as well get the newest generation if you are building from scratch. Haswell's new idle states and general lower system power for given perfomance is nice.

Here's my Haswell caveat: The C1 chipset at introduction had a bug in the USB3 controller, where devices sometimes aren't recognized when the PC returns from Sleep. The user fix is to dismount/remount the device for it to be recognized. Intel released the fixed C2 chipset to mobo mfgrs in end July. Some are starting to appear in retail now. But, it might be September until the old inventory is flushed. If, that "feature" doesn't bother you, then no worries. If it does, make sure your retailer/etailer clearly states they are shipping the C2 stepping version of the mobo prior to purchase.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:00 am

Lupine Lacuna wrote:Having now looked into it, Haswell looks like a good option, just because the mobos are so much easier to get hold of, for example, Intel's BOXDH87RL
Remember you will need a Haswell CPU, atm dual cores are starting to appear, but mostly is the Intel Core i3-4330 that has hit retail, other should follow soon.

ggumdol

Post by ggumdol » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:16 am

As CA_Steve mentioned, if you are builiding up the rig from scratch, you should definiftely go for Haswell. It is almost nonsensical to differentiate the power consumptions of Ivy-Bridge chipsets, which are practically indistinguishable. On top of that, the power consumption of motherboards is literally negliglble as compared with other power-demanding components (CPU, Monitor).

Rather, you would better be brooding upon the CPU to be used in your rig. Whatever motherboards you use, you will be saving power far more when you opt for Haswell.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:35 am

ggumdol wrote:It is almost nonsensical to differentiate the power consumptions of Ivy-Bridge chipsets, which are practically indistinguishable. On top of that, the power consumption of motherboards is literally negliglble as compared with other power-demanding components (CPU, Monitor).
The chipset is pretty low power, but it's quite a difference between different motherboards with the same chipset. And at idle the CPU will consume less than the motherboard. Haven't looked closely at the Haswell boards though. With voltage regulators on-die differences should be smaller.

Lupine Lacuna

Post by Lupine Lacuna » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks guys.

mike_f

Post by mike_f » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Found this topic a little late :| .

Just put together a 'value' system with an Celeron G1610, Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H m/b and an existing DVD and HDD.

I didn't know what to expect since I haven't built Intel in a while, but I was very surprised to measure the idle system power consumption at 25 watts! Running Folding@Home gets it up to a whopping 35.

The stock CPU and Antec 380w power supply fans are quiet enough enough for me and the air coming out of the p/s is actually cool.

Earlier, my Asus VB19ST monitor replaced a 17" CRT and it sips much less than 20w.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:34 am

mike_f wrote:Found this topic a little late :| .

Just put together a 'value' system with an Celeron G1610, Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H m/b and an existing DVD and HDD.

I didn't know what to expect since I haven't built Intel in a while, but I was very surprised to measure the idle system power consumption at 25 watts!
Yeah, choice of components matters. With the right mobo and PSU you could cut that in half. :p