Asus Z87 Deluxe/Quad First Mobo w/ 2x Thunderbolt 2.0 ports

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

laststop

Asus Z87 Deluxe/Quad First Mobo w/ 2x Thunderbolt 2.0 ports

Post by laststop » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:53 pm

Haven't heard a peep about this motherboard since it was first revealed August 19th, 21 days ago. Anyone think this motherboard is going to be released anytime soon? I tried getting an Asus Z87 expert but newegg sent me an older one still containing the USB 3.0 sleep bug. I noticed after i returned it as faulty now they have a 20 dollar off sale on the motherboard. I think they are trying to move all the old ones out of stock now. It is still unsafe to order any motherboards which is pretty crazy the fix has been finished for like a month and a half almost. Using this slow loud crappy dell amd 1100t radeon 5870 system is really getting annoying. Don't you hate it when you are trying to sleep and the computer is just roaring away in an otherwise totally silent room?

Such a torturous wait. Looks like I'm stuck waiting till October anyways before I try getting another Z87 expert but I really hope the deluxe quad comes out before I have to get the z87 expert. I don't see any info on the release date for the TB 2.0 mobo but I'm doubting I can use the same excuse to not pay a restocking fee again so I'm going to wait extra long and hopefully give asus enough time to release the quad. I'm gonna give them till around halloween/1st week of November. By then newegg should have surely moved all the older z87 experts. If by that time there is still no release date info for the deluxe quad I'm just going to have to do without thunderbolt 2.0 till skylake. I've got almost 2 months of this constant cpu heatsink roar it's one of the most annoying sound signatures ever and don't even get me started on the 5870 fan when you turn a game on, it's like a jet engine. And the way they use the psu as the only exhaust fan has it's own annoying hum. Dell XPS systems really suck for noise incase anyone was wondering.

I also still need the GPU and SSD for my build because of the dell u3014 i got but no point to buy them till the mobo is ready. Due to the wait I'll easily be able to afford the MSI Gamer N780 instead of the N770 which looks to be almost a necessary upgrade for 2560x1600 gaming. I'm sure I would of been happy with the 770 but the 780 gives a pretty noteworthy boost in 2560x1600 sure in 1920x1080 it's a wash as even the 770 powers almost everything past 60 fps but in 2560x1600 the 780 can add 10-15 fps when the fps is down in to 30-35 range for the 770 which makes a pretty big difference.

Until then I bought some super soft foamy ear plugs to use while i sleep. If anyone has some info on the deluxe quad release date please share your source, thanks guys.

Pappnaas

Re: Asus Z87 Deluxe/Quad First Mobo w/ 2x Thunderbolt 2.0 po

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:47 am

Could you please explain why exactly you want to have Thunderbolt?

IMHO the available TB devices are way overpriced and/or mostly useless for home/soho use. And you'll pay dearly for the TB ports on your mainboard.

The future might be TB, but i would skip on it right now and change mobo or add a card if i really need TB someday. Because right now your paying through the nose for something you are alpha testing happily aka. early adopter.

laststop

Post by laststop » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:12 pm

Thunderbolt is just extremely flexible. Was also a diehard firewire user. I build a new pc almost every generation and sell the previous one to help fund the new one. I build system for fun. I don't need to build a new one every generation but it's my addiction. Could be addicted to a lot worse things.

I will probably use thunderbolt for a large disc array or maybe for a 4k monitor who knows. I am buying thunderbolt because I support the new interface. The way I show my support is to purchase it. If everyone thought like you then we wouldn't even get the option of having thunderbolt. And like firewire the interface doesn't consume cpu cycles like usb.

Thunderbolt is awesome. The optical version will be even more awesome. Can run super long cables and have noisier accessories in another room.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:43 pm

laststop wrote:If everyone thought like you then we wouldn't even get the option of having thunderbolt.
Might be true. But on the other hand, if everyone thought like me and would not buy gadgets or parts that are not 100% evolved and functional, we might end up with "better" systems and parts, being wholly engineered and tested before being offered to customers?

I surely do not blame you for being interested and i do not blame you for pursuing your hobby. I just said i'd do it different.

Cistron

Post by Cistron » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:17 am

laststop wrote:If everyone thought like you then we wouldn't even get the option of having thunderbolt. And like firewire the interface doesn't consume cpu cycles like usb.
I don't think that is how it works. True, the early adopters are important, however, the interface seems very much a private concoction between Apple and Intel, and besides generations of MacBooks, hasn't established itself well. 35 quid for a cable only?

I also agree with Pappnaas, but that might just be my Teutonic heritage and pragmatic upbringing. :P

daves777

Post by daves777 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:00 am

The mob has been released. Available from amazon (2nd party storefronts) & tigerdirect % provantage.com
Provantage has best price ($336). Might be available from others. I can't find at newegg.

UPC: 886227575138

ASUS Z87 Deluxe/Quad.

Thunderbolt is widely used. (Apple) The connector is the SAME as Display Port (DP) - so the cables can be had for not that much... and I suspect it will be widely adopted since it will be excellent for gaming, the new hd4k, & 3D, etc. :P

CloakingKarpov

Post by CloakingKarpov » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:31 pm

Thunderbolt and Display Port are not the same. DP is video only, whereas Thunderbolt is video and data each in their own 10gb channel, they just share the same cable.

I've got the Quad coming this week. I need it for my Apple Thunderbolt Display. There just isn't any other option if you want to use the daisy chaining ability of Thunderbolt, which is another advantage that will most likely reduce the need for additional cables provided the inputs are available on the devices and they provide some form of a cable with their product.

USB 3.0 might be a reasonable option but I do video and photo work, not just professionally as a hobby as well, and I spend a great deal of time waiting for USB 3.0 to push data around. The only time I've been impressed was when it was pulling from my 512gb SSD to a ext. 7200rpm 64mb. But as fate would have it, I am not blessed with terabytes of SSD storage. ( I did see a stupid PCIe card somewhere that cost $200 and allowed you to use 4 32gb flash cards as a single 128gb storage. You do that math...)

The simple math for me was this: over the next year if I save 15 minutes a day in waiting time in one year that is 84 hours, at $5.00 per hour I've already paid for the cost of the board and have enough left over for the <total amount> of money saved. Once again, you do the math. 8)