Bay-trail motherboards

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CA_Steve

Re: Bay-trail motherboards

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:38 am

Not a motherboard article per se, but a nice write up of the N2806 for HTPC performance at Anandtech.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:18 am

Nice looking little box steve!
CA_Steve wrote:Not a motherboard article per se, but a nice write up of the N2806 for HTPC performance at Anandtech.
took me a second to figure out what was being reviewed.... that link goes to page four of that article.

page one for those that want to start at the beginning;
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8262/ecs- ... ises-again

IgeL

Post by IgeL » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:25 am

piglover wrote:
clarry wrote:Can anyone confirm the DVI output on GA-J1900N-D3V is limited to 1920x1080? It sounds ridiculous to me.
Normal DVI (DVI-I or DVI-D) is always limited to 1080p output. To exceed 1080p the interface must be Dual-Link DVI (DVI-DL). The GA-J1900N-D3V is DVI-D (not Dual Link or DL) and is therefore limited to supporting 1080p.
Vicotnik wrote:I think 1920x1200 also works on single link DVI.
Now that the boards are out properly, has anybody been able to test if 1920x1200 works on the GA-J1900N-D3V? Very interested in this one but if it truly is limited to 1080p, that's a deal-breaker for my home desktop... Can't live without those extra pixels!
Rational wrote:So all in all, this is the first silent PC I can actually call a 'real' PC that I can use for surfing with 25+ tabs open with NO lag. My 2820 NUC couldn't do that as it was only single channel memory and had a passmark score of around 1000. So this is the perfect solution for someone trying to save on wattage and noise like me.
That's my goal too, have an E-350 right now running an older Ubuntu, and it's just getting too slow and laggy for basic web use. Have to keep restarting browsers when it runs out of memory too. These Bay-Trail boards would probably be a nice step up. :)

gietrzy

Post by gietrzy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:26 pm

IgeL wrote:, has anybody been able to test if 1920x1200 works on the GA-J1900N-D3V? Very interested in this one but if it truly is limited to 1080p, that's a deal-breaker for my home desktop... Can't live without those extra pixels!
Yes, it can 1920x1200 via DVI. I have no problems with my SX 2262.

JJ

Post by JJ » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:01 pm

The thing that sinks pretty much all of these board for my consideration is their limit of just two onboard SATA headers.

IMO, SoC from Intel isn't _quite_ there yet, so I'll pass. Maybe the next generation.

speculatrix

Post by speculatrix » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:05 pm

JJ wrote:The thing that sinks pretty much all of these board for my consideration is their limit of just two onboard SATA headers.

IMO, SoC from Intel isn't _quite_ there yet, so I'll pass. Maybe the next generation.
apart from this one: http://www.supermicro.co.uk/products/mo ... X10SBA.cfm ???

--edit

and this one: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900-ITX/

and this one: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900DC-ITX/

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:22 pm

JJ wrote:The thing that sinks pretty much all of these board for my consideration is their limit of just two onboard SATA headers.

not sure what kind of performance youd get...or if it would fit your needs. but;
http://www.addonics.com/category/port_multiplier.php

gietrzy

Post by gietrzy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:26 pm

vishcompany

Post by vishcompany » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:32 pm

OK, here is my take on Baytrail, FWIW.

Got an ASRock Q1900-ITX with 4Gig of RAM to replace a very old VIA C7 board inside a Serener GS-L02 heatpipe case. This case was specifically designed for that VIA board, so I planned on modifying the heatpipes. Long story short: Did not work out, as the RAM has to be in the slot, which is in the path of the heatpipes, otherwise it would not boot. ATM I'm running it inside this case with the stock heatsink on. Using an already existing X25-M 80GB SSD.

Gave up on Linux pretty soon, will try again in about 2 years if GPU support has arrived in the Kernel (was like this with the VIA board). Installed win7 for now.

I'm amazed. This board finally is, what I expected the VIA board to be (in 2008). When doing office, internet, multimedia I can feel no difference to my big and hot FX-8120 setup. Idling it takes 13-14W from the wall.

Just for fun I installed two games to check out the weakish GPU. Osmos runs just fine (causing 100% GPU load at 1920*1080), Trackmania is playable with 40FPS at 1280x768 (no AA etc.). Of course this is mere theory. Anybody looking for a gaming setup will get something else.

The CPU keeps just stunning me. For instance: Handbrake transcodes a DVD to mp4 with 65FPS. Sure, the FX-8120 manages 180 FPS, but hey, it's CPU package alone consumes 116W, while the J1900 lives on a meagre 2,9W while transcoding.

Playing video (DVD material in mp4) makes no difference when using win media player (1-5% CPU load, same as in idle, 10% GPU), VLC player takes ~12% CPU and 19% GPU. Can't check out Blueray.

The temps while transcoding go up to 77° when the case is closed (being a heatpipe case, there are absolutely no holes) compared to 66° when open. The CPU runs at 2,4GHz all the time, no throttling. At light loads the temps stay below 60° in the closed case. So I wonder, if I should bother at all, trying to find a heatpipe solution (I would have to buy a heatpipe block and two pipes).

All I can say, as a mere workstation it's more than adequate and dirt cheap. Board+RAM cost me € 112,- (and I could have gone cheaper, but there is a good B&M dealer around here, I want to support them), I wonder how much I would have had to spend if I I had gone the NUC way. A 2820 NUC sells for €110,- around here. Without RAM.

Throw in a 128GB MX-100 and an ITX case for ~40,- and anybody looking for casual everyday PC could get this for a little over €200,-
IMHO that's impressive.

HFat

Post by HFat » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:15 am

As far as I can tell, these boards were designed to run in an open case.
A heatpipe case would be useless in an environment with reasonable temperatures and no liquid spills or other reasons to rule out an open case.

If you run them in a closed case, I'd be concerned about other parts than the CPU. The CPU may run a bit slower if it's hot but it should survive high temperatures. Some other parts though...

vishcompany

Post by vishcompany » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:18 am

HFat wrote:As far as I can tell, these boards were designed to run in an open case.
A heatpipe case would be useless in an environment with reasonable temperatures and no liquid spills or other reasons to rule out an open case.
Are there any boards, that were designed to run in extremely hot / hostile environments? (That's an honest question, I'm not trying to argue here).
My reason for putting the board into this case was to reuse something already existing. If I had had to buy new, it would have been open.
HFat wrote:If you run them in a closed case, I'd be concerned about other parts than the CPU. The CPU may run a bit slower if it's hot but it should survive high temperatures. Some other parts though...
These boards consumes so little energy altogether. I've been doing regular office work now for 5 hours (that's what it is intended). HWInfo shows 14 temp readings. The highest Maximum is 59° (CPU), the highest Average is 55°, basically the parts run between 47° and 55°. Should I be concerned about these temps?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:47 am

vishcompany wrote:These boards consumes so little energy altogether. I've been doing regular office work now for 5 hours (that's what it is intended). HWInfo shows 14 temp readings. The highest Maximum is 59° (CPU), the highest Average is 55°, basically the parts run between 47° and 55°. Should I be concerned about these temps?
No.

piglover

Post by piglover » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:36 am

vishcompany wrote: These boards consumes so little energy altogether. I've been doing regular office work now for 5 hours (that's what it is intended). HWInfo shows 14 temp readings. The highest Maximum is 59° (CPU), the highest Average is 55°, basically the parts run between 47° and 55°. Should I be concerned about these temps?
In a fanless design doing real work? You should be PROUD of these temps, not concerned.

Tj for the J1900 is 105c. Its meant to be run in hostile places. Don't be concerned until you see 90c or above on a regular basis.

HFat

Post by HFat » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:44 am

Though these temperatures are higher than they could be considering the load, I wouldn't be concerned about such temps either. But you need to read the relevant mobo documentation (if there even is one!) to know for sure what temps are safe. The CPU temperature isn't the issue.
And as long as you haven't run a very long continuous stress-test you don't know how hot your parts could get if some more demanding load was put on the PC. Keep in mind that with the current Bay Trails, the CPU proper will always be a minor contribution to the heat output.
vishcompany wrote:Are there any boards, that were designed to run in extremely hot / hostile environments? (That's an honest question, I'm not trying to argue here).
Yes. If you want more info, check out Logic Supply or some other industrial PC vendor.
Some of the fairly common boards people on SPCR have been using such as the DN2800MT were rated for hotter operation than most and have been used in industrial builds. Intel used to document that aspect of their boards better than most.

chinesecooler

Post by chinesecooler » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:28 pm

hey guys, just wondering if any of you use Splashtop or Chrome Remote Desktop to access the Bay Trail box. As far as I know both these apps have hardware acceleration on certain graphic cards but I am not sure if Intel HD graphic is one of them. Does anyone know what the CPU usage is like? Apparently if HW mode is not supported it would consume around 40% of CPU even in idle.

vishcompany

Post by vishcompany » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:46 am

chinesecooler wrote:Apparently if HW mode is not supported it would consume around 40% of CPU even in idle.
Tried splashtop out for you: It depends on the resolution. At 600x800 the splashtop process takes 10-14% CPU power, at 1920x1080 it consumes 30-34%. Only if accessed, otherwise it idles in the background.

chinesecooler

Post by chinesecooler » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:05 pm

vishcompany wrote:
chinesecooler wrote:Apparently if HW mode is not supported it would consume around 40% of CPU even in idle.
Tried splashtop out for you: It depends on the resolution. At 600x800 the splashtop process takes 10-14% CPU power, at 1920x1080 it consumes 30-34%. Only if accessed, otherwise it idles in the background.
Thanks for the test vishcompany. It doesn't seem like it's being accelerated by HW which is ok as long as it doesn't top 100% while playing back FHD movies. Do you have any high bit rate h264 mkvs (eg 10G+ movies or bluerays) that you could try to playback in 1920x1080 via splashtop? Hopefully that's not too much to ask. Thanks again.

PS: May I ask what cpu you are using? J1800 or J1900?

vishcompany

Post by vishcompany » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:38 am

chinesecooler wrote:Thanks for the test vishcompany. It doesn't seem like it's being accelerated by HW which is ok as long as it doesn't top 100% while playing back FHD movies. Do you have any high bit rate h264 mkvs (eg 10G+ movies or bluerays) that you could try to playback in 1920x1080 via splashtop? Hopefully that's not too much to ask. Thanks again.

PS: May I ask what cpu you are using? J1800 or J1900?
It's an ASRock J1900 board.

I don't do Bluray, however, I found some 1920 testfiles on the web, one with a bitrate of 8000 kBit/s (mp4), the other with 31000 kBit/s (MT2S). Both did not tax the CPU significantly (some 6% extra for win mplayer, the load for splashtop stayed the same), but the movie was stuttering, I would not want to watch a movie like that (heck, ever since I play games at 60FPS I even get irritated sometimes by movies at 23FPS).
Maybe I don't get something here, but why do you want to watch a movie via splashtop? Wouldn't it be easier to just stream the movie and do the decoding on the machine you are watching the video with? Works fine with me even with a pretty old NAS.
Splashtop has a sluggish refresh rate even when dragging a window around the desktop. Maybe it's just not made to transfer Full HD video?

chinesecooler

Post by chinesecooler » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:25 pm

vishcompany wrote: It's an ASRock J1900 board.

I don't do Bluray, however, I found some 1920 testfiles on the web, one with a bitrate of 8000 kBit/s (mp4), the other with 31000 kBit/s (MT2S). Both did not tax the CPU significantly (some 6% extra for win mplayer, the load for splashtop stayed the same), but the movie was stuttering, I would not want to watch a movie like that (heck, ever since I play games at 60FPS I even get irritated sometimes by movies at 23FPS).
Maybe I don't get something here, but why do you want to watch a movie via splashtop? Wouldn't it be easier to just stream the movie and do the decoding on the machine you are watching the video with? Works fine with me even with a pretty old NAS.
Splashtop has a sluggish refresh rate even when dragging a window around the desktop. Maybe it's just not made to transfer Full HD video?
Thanks for the extensive information vish. If you are using wifi I guess the sluggish is likely caused by the wireless speed. As I know, splashtop can deliver 60fps(and beyond) without problem with the proper hardware - CPU for frame compression, GPU for frame encoding and network for transferring the frames. If you are curious enough I guess you can try to access via gigabit lan instead of wifi; select the best image quality. With 1Gbps lan you would push the CPU + GPU to generate more frames.

Answering your other question, I play all kind of video files and even I am using one of the best android phones out there (the Oneplus One) it still chokes with some odd formats. I live in Australia so I also need a lot of PC only apps to access U.S contents and using the phone as a proxy screen is my best bet here.

vishcompany

Post by vishcompany » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:34 am

chinesecooler wrote:If you are using wifi I guess the sluggish is likely caused by the wireless speed. As I know, splashtop can deliver 60fps(and beyond) without problem with the proper hardware - CPU for frame compression, GPU for frame encoding and network for transferring the frames. If you are curious enough I guess you can try to access via gigabit lan instead of wifi; select the best image quality. With 1Gbps lan you would push the CPU + GPU to generate more frames.
Both machines are connected to a Gbit switch. So I guess splashtop is not supported on hardware level.

speculatrix

Post by speculatrix » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Anandtech weigh in on a pair of Baytrail motherboards with Celeron J1900 atoms

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8595/the- ... i-c-review

Gigabyte j1900n-d3v vs Asus j1900i
Last edited by speculatrix on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stevo_

Post by Stevo_ » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:29 pm

Currently running the J2900 based Asrock Q2900-ITX in a fanless setup under Linux Mint OS, awesome setup. So far Kill-A-Watt at wall shows brick running 12W not connected to box, 12.75W connected at idle and 22W under ~25% load though that's not constant(playing DVD with VLC thru a USB powered external player). Still it runs very snappy and has yet to get much more than warm to the touch. Mint found all hardware no problems.

Edit: rest of system

RAM: G SKill SO-DIMM 2x4GB 1333
SSD: Samsung 128GB
Mini-pcie: Mfactors Dual SD Micro adapter(2x64GB)
Wifi:Intel PCIE x1 slot card
PSU: Toshiba 30W 19V Brick + HD PLEX 150W(had it lying around way overkill)
Case Lone Industries L1

Decided to go with Centrino card over mini pcie version as the card has antenna connectors built-in to the pci bracket, only shortcoming of the motherboard I think is no provision in the IO for Wifi antenna connection, rather they drop analog VGA and add a bracket. Going to see if the mini-PCIE adapter will allow dual boot option also, see how Win10 works on it.

UPDATE: Contrary to the manufacturer, the SD micro adapter is bootable, loaded Win10 preview ISO in a bootable USB format, unfortunately couldn't complete install to the other SD micro card as Windows installer only recognized the SSD.

UPDATE2: Loaded Linux Mint on one of the SD Micros from a USB stick from this box. Boots fine but takes about 50% longer than from the system SSD 840 Pro.

Last edited by Stevo_ on Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

speculatrix

Post by speculatrix » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:47 am

has anyone come across a board with more than 4 x SATA ports, other than the ASRock Q1900 range?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900-ITX/
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900DC-ITX/

thanks!

Stevo_

Post by Stevo_ » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:44 pm

speculatrix wrote:has anyone come across a board with more than 4 x SATA ports, other than the ASRock Q1900 range?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900-ITX/
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900DC-ITX/

thanks!
Maybe use one of these dual SATAIII to mini-PCIE adapters, on the mini-PCIE slot on either of those motherboards, get you up to six.

https://store-5a8d4.mybigcommerce.com/p ... 0-adapter/

Plus one of these and total 10 SATAs (8 SATA III)

http://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Profile- ... 369&sr=1-6

speculatrix

Post by speculatrix » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks for taking the time to post those links. I think I'll get the dual port adaptor.

speculatrix

Post by speculatrix » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:12 am

sorry if this was posted before, someone alerted me to a review of the Supermicro X10SBA board

http://www.servethehome.com/Server-deta ... ba-review/

danialbi

Post by danialbi » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:31 am

washu wrote:
chinesecooler wrote:I am eyeing on the Asrock Q1900DC as well but I wonder how I can power my harddrive without an ATX psu?
The Q1900DC has two sata power headers on the board which supply 12V and 5V for harddrives. It's not clear if the board comes with the cables.
Yes it does. I have one of these mobos. It comes with 2 SATA power cables, each with 2 supply headers - to allow a total of 4 drives

nickjames

Post by nickjames » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:05 pm

Hello!

After hours of research I decided to to build a NAS with Fractal Node 304 case (with 4 HDD's) and Asrock Q1900DC mobo. But one thing forgotten, how will I feed the 3 case fans?

There is only one case fan connector on the mobo, it could feed the 140 mm fan. There is a CPU fan connector as well, it might be powerful enough to feed one of the 92 mm fan. Is it? But what to do with the second 92 mm fan? Any recommendation? Can I use a splitter for the mobo case fan connector and use it for the 140 mm and 92 mm fan(s)? Or it would be too much load?

Another solution considered to connect a second power source directly to the MOLEX connector of the case.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Frac ... ablefc.jpg

Does anyone knows how the fan speed switch works on this case? On high use it the 12V line, on medium "mix" the 5V and 12V, and on low use the 5V line? Or? I assume the low settings would be enough for me. Maybe a small 5V adapter connected to MOLEX 5V line could solve my problem.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanx
nj

DiBe92

Post by DiBe92 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:58 am

Hi guys
I have a question for you.
I want to realize an htpc completely fanless.
I want to use a motherboard with cpu integrated with notebook psu.
I have found this 2 models
Asrock Q1900M-itx
Asrock Q1900DC-itx

For hard drive i will use ssd and maybe the optical drive.

The question is:
Do you now if this type of motherboards can play 1080p files (20/25 gb) on tv 42'' fullHD? (With XBMC)
This files are saved on my pc and then they are played on lan network..
Are there other models of motherboards that i can use?
P.s. Sorry for my bad english

Thank you

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:20 am

DiBe92 wrote:Hi guys
I have a question for you.
I want to realize an htpc completely fanless.
I want to use a motherboard with cpu integrated with notebook psu.
I have found this 2 models
Asrock Q1900M-itx
Asrock Q1900DC-itx

For hard drive i will use ssd and maybe the optical drive.

The question is:
Do you now if this type of motherboards can play 1080p files (20/25 gb) on tv 42'' fullHD? (With XBMC)
This files are saved on my pc and then they are played on lan network..
Are there other models of motherboards that i can use?
P.s. Sorry for my bad english

Thank you
No problem for almost any modern CPU/mobo to play HD files to any TV.
When you say "played on lan network", I presume you will access the files with the HTPC over the network, right?
Any current generation Thin Mini-ITX board in a fanless heatsink case will work.
You can also use any of Intel NUC system -- or bare boards -- and transfer it to a fanless heatsink-chassis. Ditto the Zotac fanless zbox models.
Examples of the above mentioned products are reviewed on the main site.