Bay-trail motherboards

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DiBe92

Re: Bay-trail motherboards

Post by DiBe92 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:46 pm

First of all, thank you for your quick reply.
MikeC wrote: When you say "played on lan network", I presume you will access the files with the HTPC over the network, right?
Yes you are right
MikeC wrote: You can also use any of Intel NUC system -- or bare boards -- and transfer it to a fanless heatsink-chassis. Ditto the Zotac fanless zbox models.
Examples of the above mentioned products are reviewed on the main site.
I have seen the intel NUC but i prefer to create my personal system :D
MikeC wrote: No problem for almost any modern CPU/mobo to play HD files to any TV.
Good, that's all I've been waiting to hear.
For notebook PSU, which one should I buy?
Are there others producers, like asus/gigabyte, that have motherboards with notebook supply and cpu integrated?

Thanks

Stevo_

Post by Stevo_ » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:20 am

nickjames wrote:Hello!

After hours of research I decided to to build a NAS with Fractal Node 304 case (with 4 HDD's) and Asrock Q1900DC mobo. But one thing forgotten, how will I feed the 3 case fans?

There is only one case fan connector on the mobo, it could feed the 140 mm fan. There is a CPU fan connector as well, it might be powerful enough to feed one of the 92 mm fan. Is it? But what to do with the second 92 mm fan? Any recommendation? Can I use a splitter for the mobo case fan connector and use it for the 140 mm and 92 mm fan(s)? Or it would be too much load?

Another solution considered to connect a second power source directly to the MOLEX connector of the case.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Frac ... ablefc.jpg

Does anyone knows how the fan speed switch works on this case? On high use it the 12V line, on medium "mix" the 5V and 12V, and on low use the 5V line? Or? I assume the low settings would be enough for me. Maybe a small 5V adapter connected to MOLEX 5V line could solve my problem.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanx
nj
I used to have a Node 304 build and that description of the fan speed switch sounds correct. Low settings were near "silent" (though I removed switch and replaced all fans with PWM as the fan/molex cables detracted greatly to cable management). I think you would have no problem running the 2x92 fans from one of the mobo fan headers on the Q1900DC, I have one in a build but it runs fanless but normall fan headers are rated a good deal over the typical fan current.

NoiseFreeGuy

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi folks,

It's been quite a few years since I visited here.
I've been working with completely silent systems for years now.

My main desktop is rather antiquated now. A Pentium-M based MB still on WinXP.
A small fan in the MB but inaudible since the CPU case is in an adjoining room.

I also use two identical ASUS notebooks using the Atom Bay Trail Z3740 processor.
Very few CPU's or hard drives (solid state or not) get along with me.

The Pentium-M's and this Z3740 CPU do though.
So I'm wondering if you folks have found any MB's that use the Z3740?

Failing that, could you recommend any newer CPU's/MB's that have the same or lower power requirements
that the Z3740/D has?
I can feel the vibes even from the slightly upgrade Z3740 chips.

TIA

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:16 pm

NoiseFreeGuy wrote:Failing that, could you recommend any newer CPU's/MB's that have the same or lower power requirements
that the Z3740/D has?
Something like ASRock J4105B-ITX Gemini Lake, maybe it can fulfill you low power fanless desire.

NoiseFreeGuy

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Abula wrote:
NoiseFreeGuy wrote:Failing that, could you recommend any newer CPU's/MB's that have the same or lower power requirements
that the Z3740/D has?
Something like ASRock J4105B-ITX Gemini Lake, maybe it can fulfill you low power fanless desire.
Thanks Abula.
Do you know if it's possible to use IDE (ATA) drives with this motherboard?
Possibly with a card?
None of the SATA drives I've tried get along with me.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:39 pm

NoiseFreeGuy wrote:Thanks Abula.
Do you know if it's possible to use IDE (ATA) drives with this motherboard?
Possibly with a card?
None of the SATA drives I've tried get along with me.
I haven't used an IDE drive in more than 10 years, i wouldn't recommend it, specially the storage you will have available will be extremely small, if you want low power grab a small ssd, it will not only be more efficient but the pc will be much more responsive and silent, there are very cheap sata ssds out there if you don't need much space, even an old used SSD will be much better, for example an intel x25m that you might be able to get used cheap.

But if you still want to follow the IDE path, there are some PCIe cards that might work like, StarTech 1 Port PCI Express IDE Controller Adapter Card.

Btw I missed you were from canada, here is a link from newegg.ca, ASRock J4105-ITX, worth mentioning that this motherboard uses SODIMs (laptop memory), so keep that in mind also, here is an example Ballistix Sport LT 4GB

speculatrix

Post by speculatrix » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:49 am

The latest low power chips from Intel, Gemini Lake, are pretty good but in short supply.
Gigabyte have a dual NIC apollo lake board, but haven't released a Gemini Lake version probably for that reason.

For a home theatre pc I bought a "June Canyon" J5005 NUC. An excellent bit of kit, the optical spdif out will feed Dolby Digital to my home cinema amp. It's effectively silent in operation. The only downside is it can't do HDR. I haven't tried 4k streaming as my Netflix plan doesn't include it.

NoiseFreeGuy

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:32 pm

Abula wrote: I haven't used an IDE drive in more than 10 years, i wouldn't recommend it, specially the storage you will have available will be extremely small, if you want low power grab a small ssd, it will not only be more efficient but the pc will be much more responsive and silent, there are very cheap sata ssds out there if you don't need much space, even an old used SSD will be much better, for example an intel x25m that you might be able to get used cheap.

But if you still want to follow the IDE path, there are some PCIe cards that might work like, StarTech 1 Port PCI Express IDE Controller Adapter Card.

Btw I missed you were from canada, here is a link from newegg.ca, ASRock J4105-ITX, worth mentioning that this motherboard uses SODIMs (laptop memory), so keep that in mind also, here is an example Ballistix Sport LT 4GB
Thanks Abula!

I have about 10 160G IDE drives that are in excellent condition. I'd like to use them for storage.
When I plug them into my USB ports they don't give me any head aches.
My main drive for the past 12 years has been one of these drives.

I have bought 1T SSD's and also 1T SATA drives but each one gives me a head ache, even when accessed from the next room!
So maybe a smaller size as you suggest for the SSD might work if it is low powered.

To give you an example, 16G USB sticks from Kingston are OK with me.
32 USB sticks I start to feel in my head.
64 USB stick really start to bother me.
So I've concluded that the higher the capacity, the more juice is flowing in these sticks.

I'll check out the MB's you suggested and see what they can do. Thanks!

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:58 pm

NoiseFreeGuy wrote:I have about 10 160G IDE drives that are in excellent condition. I'd like to use them for storage.
When I plug them into my USB ports they don't give me any head aches.
My main drive for the past 12 years has been one of these drives.

I'll check out the MB's you suggested and see what they can do. Thanks!
Since you have so many hdds, maybe you dont mind going with micro atx for having more slots for PCIe cards? here is the same mothebroard but on micro atx (also cheaper and uses standard ddr4 memory), ASRock J4105M Intel Celeron Quad-Core Processor J4105 (up to 2.5 GHz) Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Combo.
NoiseFreeGuy wrote:I have bought 1T SSD's and also 1T SATA drives but each one gives me a head ache, even when accessed from the next room!
So maybe a smaller size as you suggest for the SSD might work if it is low powered.

So I've concluded that the higher the capacity, the more juice is flowing in these sticks.
Im not sure whats the issues, i haven't had a single issue with ssds (well thats a lie, one died on me in 1 hour, but 15+ ssds all running great, even 10 year old ssds are still running strong).

Could be drivers or your OS, maybe with this newer board you problems disappear (at least i hope so). One thing to keep in mind, is that windows 7 is rapidly losing support, intel already has dropped for their iGPUs, you can still use some drivers but some have memory leak issues under 7. So be careful into what you install, crosscheck the motherboard manufacturer to see if it will support the OS you will run.

Would be great if you could move to a single ssd, you will save a lot in power, probably will idle below 20w (i would even think below 10w if no mechanical).

speculatrix

Post by speculatrix » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:29 am

Gigabyte's highest spec Gemini Lake board is this:
https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard ... -rev-10#kf

The CPU is almost as good as the J5005, just slower GPU peak clock and fewer execution units.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 984,128989

I can't find anywhere actually selling it though :-(

NoiseFreeGuy

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:30 pm

speculatrix wrote:Gigabyte's highest spec Gemini Lake board is this:
https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard ... -rev-10#kf

The CPU is almost as good as the J5005, just slower GPU peak clock and fewer execution units.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 984,128989

I can't find anywhere actually selling it though :-(
Thanks for the info Specul I will look into them! :)

NoiseFreeGuy

Post by NoiseFreeGuy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Abula wrote:
NoiseFreeGuy wrote:I have bought 1T SSD's and also 1T SATA drives but each one gives me a head ache, even when accessed from the next room!

Im not sure whats the issues, i haven't had a single issue with ssds (well thats a lie, one died on me in 1 hour, but 15+ ssds all running great, even 10 year old ssds are still running strong).

Could be drivers or your OS, maybe with this newer board you problems disappear (at least i hope so). One thing to keep in mind, is that windows 7 is rapidly losing support, intel already has dropped for their iGPUs, you can still use some drivers but some have memory leak issues under 7. So be careful into what you install, crosscheck the motherboard manufacturer to see if it will support the OS you will run.

Would be great if you could move to a single ssd, you will save a lot in power, probably will idle below 20w (i would even think below 10w if no mechanical).
Sorry I think you misunderstood me.
When I said those drives/sticks gave me a headache,
I didn't mean they gave me technical problems.
I meant they actually hurt my head!
I could feel pressure in my temples.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:19 am

This is starting to get far afield of this thread's intent.

NoiseFreeGuy: you might want to start your own thread for help with your build.