It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ASRock Fan Control
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:22 am 

Since ASRock motherboards seem to have good fan control options I thought we could share our experiences with them seeing as ASUS are always talked about here, with some MSI and Gigabyte thrown in as well.

My model is Z97M Pro4. It can control the following
- CPU Fan 1 (4-pin) and CPU Fan 2 (3-pin) - they are tied to the same controller(same percentage of speed)
- Chassis Fan 1 (4-pin)
- Chassis Fan 2 (3-pin)

For each of the 3 controllers you can associate 5 different pairs of temperatures - speeds (in percentage, from 1 to 100, though going below 20% didn't have any noticeable effect).

Notes:
- CPU Fan 1 (4-pin) and Chassis Fan 1 (4-pin) cannot be turned off. Even at 0% they will keep spinning at the minimum rpm.
- There's no hysteresis option like in SpeedFan
- Fans control options are similar in BIOS and the A-Tuning app but they save their settings independently so you cannot control the BIOS settings from Windows. So I've used the Windows app for testing and then set my final options in BIOS. I've only played a bit with SpeedFan on this new system but the hysteresis option is the only thing that would entice me to use it.

I've tested the following fans.
- Scythe Kotetsu stock fan (400+/-200 - 1400 rpm, 4-pin) - minimum speed obtained: ~ 550 rpm
- Intel stock cooler fan (2000 rpm, 4-pin) - minimum speed obtained: ~950 rpm
- Scythe Slip Stream SY1225SL12L (800 rpm, 3-pin) - minimum speed obtained: ~120 rpm
- CoolerMaster Silencio 550 stock case fan (800 rpm, 3-pin) - minimum speed obtained: ~300 rpm (+some weird readings)
- Arctic Fan 12 (1500 rpm, 3-pin, old model) - minimum speed obtained: ~500 rpm
- Arctic Fan AF8 (2500 rpm, 3-pin, even older model) - minimum speed obtained: ~900 rpm

Results according to the A-Tuning fan test
Attachment:
Untitled-1.jpg

Attachment:
Untitled-2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.