Low power consumption board with 3eth and 1pci, or with 1pci

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rado3105

Low power consumption board with 3eth and 1pci, or with 1pci

Post by rado3105 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:19 am

I am looking for motherboard with low power consumption, which has 3ethernet ports+1x pci or pci-express.
Or motherboard with 1x pci and 1xpci-express.

Could you recommend something? Thanks

Abula

Re: Low power consumption board with 3eth and 1pci, or with

Post by Abula » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:33 am

Usually intel motherboards are among the best in terms of power consumption, my download station in my signature can idle close to 10W, but im running 3 fans, probably can reach lower if you use less. Most of the builds that you can search here reach low power consumption have used intel motherboards, so thats my suggestion.

Idk really what you going to use it, so idk if an atom would work out for you or not, a motherboard that has been used in low power consumption projects that has intel 2 nics already built in is the Intel BOXDQ77KB LGA 1155 Intel Q77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard, it also has a PCIe 1x so you can get your desired 3 lans connections, the problem is that i think is no longer in production, and there is limited availability on the market thus the price is higher than it should, but i bet you can find some in ebay. Check Fluffy2 - 5.9 Watt high-end desktop computer , he uses the same motherboard and manages 5.9W with some modding, still i think with a good brick and few fans, you probably can lower below 10W easily with it, now adding the nic will increase the consumption though.

As an alternative, check SPCR Gigabyte GA-H77TN Thin Mini-ITX Motherboard, they manage similar consumptions to the DW77KB, there is even charts there where you can compare them, on the downside no dual nics but you could go with the twin lan port cards.

Good luck with your choice of motherboard, and please share your results, its always interesting reading on very low powered pcs.

rado3105

Post by rado3105 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:44 am

I need to have 3 ethernets and one pci or pciexpress...or to get using some daughter boards or adpaters to get motherboard with low power consumption and to have 3 ethernets and pci or pciexpress....
Which chipsets from intel are lowest power consumption?
Which CPUs are lowest power consumption?

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:11 pm

I think for you needs you better of with your inital board, Jetway NF96U-525-LF Intel Atom D525 Mini-ITX Motherboard w/ AD3RTLANG Daughterboard [4 x LAN total] and Onboard DC Power Supply, it fits all you want, 3 lans, legacy PCI, and its an atom so it should have low consumption, i doubt you will be able to beat it with another setup in terms of add on cards sometimes can even take 5-10W, so i think the Jetway is your best bet.

rado3105

Post by rado3105 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:02 pm

What are the low power consumption chipsets? /nm10, ich8?)

HFat

Post by HFat » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:18 am

NM10 is supposed to consume a bit less power than ICH8M. But I don't think it matters.
Implementation details and power supply differences will dwarf the difference. We've seen Jetway boards consuming a good bit more than an equivalent Intel for instance.

I guess the boards which consume the least power probably don't have PCI.
There are routers with >2 ethernet ports obviously but other than that I doubt any x86 board with >2 ethernet ports is going to have a low power consumption (check out the Avoton boards though as they should have the latest power saving tech).

Any board build with mobile parts is likely to have a fairly low power consumption, certainly compared to its mainstream counterparts.
The D945GSEJT is an old board with PCI and a relatively low power consumption (it was very low for its time).

Any Haswell board should have low power consumption, especially the stripped-down ones.