Energy efficient MB and CPU combo in Idle

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

evlo

Energy efficient MB and CPU combo in Idle

Post by evlo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:41 am

I'm looking for some CPU that is energy efficient in idle and same for Motherboard, where information about power consumption are really sparse.
I would like to be about 10W.
So can you recommend some motherboards and cpus that are tested to be efficient?
I hove done some research and i can't find info if the T cpus idle power consumption is lower then non T cpus.

This is for my new home server that should be able to do VT-d so i'm thinking about i5-4460.
Then i found MSI B85M ECO that should have low power consumption, but no real test again. This is only benchmark of motherboard power consumption i found http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4444/49 ... -5-minutes but people on forums here posted that they are getting abou 10w with haswell builds.

Also i'm considering lower the hdds count (still suck some power in spindown state and also i could ditch sas2008 controller - that is another 7w in idle) so i'm looking for 2 motherboard recommendations in fact:
1. haswell motherboard that has really low power consumption in idle
2. haswell motherboard that has really low power consumption in idle and does have at least 6 sata ports

I found a lot of builds, but each has different requirements and few post info about real idle power consumption.

10w consumption i mentioned is without hdds, only with system ssd/usb drive.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Energy efficient MB and CPU combo in Idle

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:21 am

Intel used to be the best regarding efficiency so maybe one of their Haswell mATX boards. Also take a look at ASRock, they seem pretty good. My H81 HTPC is 11.2W idle (AC at the wall). No difference at idle between normal and factory underclocked CPUs btw.