underclocking i3-4340

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pan3

underclocking i3-4340

Post by pan3 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:03 am

Hi all.

I'm planning to buy a i3-4340, and installing it into a ASUS H87I-PLUS itx motherboard (already bought).

I read that this processor (and the whole i3 series) can't be underclocked / undervolted. Is it true?

Another question, if you don't mind: what kind of noise I should expect at idle state using Intel's boxed cooling system?

thank you a lot!
bye

HFat

Re: underclocking i3-4340

Post by HFat » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:45 pm

pan3 wrote:I read that this processor (and the whole i3 series) can't be underclocked / undervolted. Is it true?
You can always underclock.
Undervolting happens automatically with modern CPUs and I wouldn't recommend tweaking with that even if you can.
None of that would make any difference to the idle noise anyway.

Consider buying a cheaper CPU. Why do you want this model if you're going to underclock it? Maybe you should even consider a Pentium-branded Haswell.
pan3 wrote:Another question, if you don't mind: what kind of noise I should expect at idle state using Intel's boxed cooling system?
Depends... on the case and the other stuff running in it, on the temperatures you're willing to allow (I'm assuming all Asus boards have fan control) and above all on what you consider noisy.
Why don't you try for yourself?

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:59 pm

Intel Sandy/Ivy/Haswell CPUs under windows will downclock depending on the load, for example at idle Sandy and Haswell underclock to 800mhz on idle (as long as you are using a power management that allows this). now if you want to limit the top clocks on the CPU you should be able on BIOS depending on the motherboard, and if not you should be able to also limit it on the power management to a %.
pan3 wrote:Another question, if you don't mind: what kind of noise I should expect at idle state using Intel's boxed cooling system?
This is very subjective question, for me they are not good, but for most people they are fine, this is something that only you can answer yourself by using it, and you got nothing to lose by doing this, if its not good for your just get later an aftermarket cooler.

pan3

Post by pan3 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Thank you for your answers.

I'm thinking about underclock in order to find my sweet spot of the noise emission if I have to reduce it. Also, I probably have to change the indended use of this PC in the future, so I need the full power the cpu can offer.

bye!