Low Power thin Mini-ITX with 2 x SATA, 2 x mini Pci-e

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kevinlv

Low Power thin Mini-ITX with 2 x SATA, 2 x mini Pci-e

Post by kevinlv » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:14 am

Hello Everyone,

I am struggling to complete the build of a NAS using 2x2.5" HDDs and 1xmSATA SSD and the M350 case. As you may know, this case is quite small but I found a good way to put 2x2.5" HDDs inside.

It seems no existing mini-ITX board can satisfy my simple requests:

- Thin mini-itx (no ATX connector) with external power highly desirable (but I do have a Pico-PSU available too for ATX connector)
- To support 2xmini PCI-e slots, one full-slot for mSATA, one half-slot for Wi-Fi
- To support 2xSATA ports NOT SHARED with the mSATA PCI-e port (this is where every board fails)
- Fanless desirable (but I could do with a fan too)
- As low CPU TDP as possible

All the NM10 chipset boards do not support mSATA and 2 SATA simultaneously, it must be a chipset limitation.

The only option that I know right now is the Asus Q87T board + Intel Core i3-4130T 35W processor. But this combo is not only expensive but overkill for this application and it generates a lot of heat too.

Does anyone know of such a motherboard available for sub-$200 ? I would also consider AMD boards.

Thanks !

mnme

Re: Low Power thin Mini-ITX with 2 x SATA, 2 x mini Pci-e

Post by mnme » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:44 am

kevinlv wrote: The only option that I know right now is the Asus Q87T board + Intel Core i3-4130T 35W processor. But this combo is not only expensive but overkill for this application and it generates a lot of heat too.

Does anyone know of such a motherboard available for sub-$200 ? I would also consider AMD boards.
Do you mean sub-200$ for the motherboard + CPU combo? Because I found the Q87T on several sites for just 150$.
I couldn't find any motherboard which is cheaper and fits your requirements (all manufacturers).

You can save by buying a cheaper CPU like the Intel Pentium G3220, even if it has 54W TPD (higher than yours), it will use less than an i3-4130T with 35W TPD while idling and under light load.
See here for some advice on the Haswell CPUs: Optimal Haswell CPU for low idle power HTPC/Server.
I don't really know about low-power AMDs, I can't come up with an advice on them, maybe somebody else here?

I'm also considering building a NAS myself but I can't recommend you something as I don't need mSATA.

HFat

Post by HFat » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:26 am

My advice: ask Logicsupply.

Or simply don't use an SSD for your NAS. It's not necessary.

kevinlv

Post by kevinlv » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:37 am

HFat wrote:My advice: ask Logicsupply.

Or simply don't use an SSD for your NAS. It's not necessary.
The problem is that I would like to use Windows Server 2012 "Storage Spaces" (software RAID). And this feature require the OS to be installed on another hard-drive, separate from the RAID disks. This is also the case with many other software solutions.

I did ask/search LogicSupply.

I guess I will wait a bit for the Bay Trail boards to arrive, maybe some of them will have these features.

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:51 am

kevinlv wrote:The problem is that I would like to use Windows Server 2012 "Storage Spaces" (software RAID). And this feature require the OS to be installed on another hard-drive, separate from the RAID disks. This is also the case with many other software solutions.
Im not too sure, but if storage spaces on windows server 2012 is like on windows 8, i wouldn't touch it, its very slow, i would go with something like Flexraid if you want software with some redundancy or snapraid (open source). Or look into unraid and free youself from needing another drive for OS, they just use USB for booting.