[SOLVED] CPU fan always at full speed even with "Automatic"

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

littlebigman

[SOLVED] CPU fan always at full speed even with "Automatic"

Post by littlebigman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:38 pm

Hello

I just bought a mini-ITX host with an ASRock A75M-ITX and powered by an AMD A8-3850.

Even after upgrading the BIOS to the latest release and changing the CPU settings in the H/W Monitor section from "Full On" to "Automatic", the CPU fan is constantly running at full speed.

The fan is connected to the mobo with a four-wire connection (Black, yellow, blue, red). The four-pin connector can be seen in the upper right-hand corner ("CPU FAN") next to the three-pin connector ("CPU FAN2").

Before getting a hardware solution, is there something I could try in software (Windows 7) to regulate its speed?

Thank you.
Last edited by littlebigman on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CA_Steve

Re: CPU fan always at full speed even with "Automatic" in BI

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:48 pm

What's the fan's make/model?

littlebigman

Re: CPU fan always at full speed even with "Automatic" in BI

Post by littlebigman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks for the help.

It looks like the stock fan that came with the AMD CPU.

I should have checked in their Download section before asking: ASRock provides a utility called "ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility" that let users manage the CPU fans.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/A75M-ITX/? ... ad&os=Win7

It's not super-silent yet, but much better.

There isn't a lot of space in that mini-ITX case, but I'll see what bigger CPU heatsink + fan I could use with that CPU.

Thank you.

edh

Re: [SOLVED] CPU fan always at full speed even with "Automat

Post by edh » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:18 pm

Something still isn't right if the motherboards fan control does not run automatically on its own. I'd suggest you take it up with the motherboard maker - running software is not a complete substitute even if they supply it for free as then it would only support Windows users.

littlebigman

Post by littlebigman » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:44 am

It's a second-hand computer. I can always e-mail ASRock, but I doubt I'll get a reply.

Still, even when running at its lowest speed with the case closed (currently at 38°C), I can hear the fan running. Does someone know which heatsink + fan I could use to cool that processor, considering there's 9cm between the mobo and the PSU above the CPU?

CPU = AMD A8-3850
http://shop.amd.com/US/All/Detail/Proce ... AProcessor

Mobo = A75M-ITX
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/A75M-ITX/? ... ifications

Thank you.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:07 am

Two possibilities immediately come to mind, please check the mechanical dimensions to see if either will fit your situation.

Noctua L-12...it's 93mm tall...but IF you can fit the 120mm fan into the lower slot, it'll cool your 100W CPU well. With top down coolers, you want at least 1 cm, preferably 2cm between the fan and any occluding surface to not impede airflow.

Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev B. Replace the thinline Slipstream fan with a 25mm PWM fan.