Power usage of Coffee Lake i3 vs Ivy Bridge i3?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

resistante

Power usage of Coffee Lake i3 vs Ivy Bridge i3?

Post by resistante » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:52 am

I own a fanless PC with i3-3245 (the most power hungry Ivy Bridge i3), this is the most that my cooling system can take. The radiator case gets hot in summer.

How does Coffee Lake i3-8100 or i3-8350K compare to that given it has 4 cores instead of 2? Is its power usage similar, higher or lower? Does anyone have some tests? I couldn't find any.

The idle power usage I want shouldn't be higher than that of i3-3245. The stress power usage may be slightly higher since the CPU is faster and will be less stressed. The GPU shouldn't user more power in stress, but this is not crucial as I stress it very rarely.

CA_Steve

Re: Power usage of Coffee Lake i3 vs Ivy Bridge i3?

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:24 am

Intel moved the i3 8100 into a slightly higher TDP bucket with Coffee Lake and the increase in core count (65W vs your 55W). The 8350K goes into the 91W TDP bucket.

I'd expect i3 8100 idle power to be similar to your i3.

resistante

Post by resistante » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:44 am

Wasn't the consensus here that TDP values are bogus?

It seems to me they raised the TDP value mostly to signify how faaast the CPU is since people often consider high power equal to high performance.

Anyway, is there any real data on this? If not direct Ivy Bridge - Coffee Lake comparisons (both i3 and i5/i7) then perhaps Coffee Lake - Kaby Lake/Skylake? Fe. one could deduct that if Kaby Lake i5 was as power hungry as Ivy Bridge i3 and Coffee Lake i3 (4c) is as power hungry as Kaby Lake i5 (4c), then Coffee Lake is fine for me.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:10 pm

bogus? no. They are just wide buckets to encompass a range of parts rather than referring to specific power use.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:22 am

Relevance of TDP:
For Coffee Lake it's most certainly a limiting factor in how fast the CPU will run under heavy load.
Adored TV has an analysis of it (with Core i5-8400) here.
The summary is that the hard coded TDP will make most motherboards keep power consumption at/below that level by limiting the boost frequency (after a few seconds). High end "gaming" motherboards may allow the power consumption to go higher as long as the temperature is fine.