AMD Ryzen APUs (Raven Ridge)

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

AMD Ryzen APUs (Raven Ridge)

Post by flyingsherpa » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:45 am

Surprised to not see any discussion here on the recent release of the R3 2200g and R5 2400g APUs. I'm eyeing the 2200g to replace my 8 year old rig that does double duty as main PC and HTPC... I don't really game but I like to have the option of mild gaming, and I don't want a dGPU because it would mostly go unused and be a waste of money and excess heat. I'll probably wait at least a few months for the new chipsets to come out (not thrilled with the current options for mini-itx) and see if the 2200ge (35W version) is any good.

Anyone else planning a Ryzen APU build? Curious if the included HSF is decent per SPCR standards (or if it's possible to re-use my Dark Knight on AM4 somehow).

CA_Steve

Re: AMD Ryzen APUs (Raven Ridge)

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:33 am

It looks to be a decent HTPC/Productivity platform. For gaming, I guess it boils down to resolution, game details, and what you expect for min/ave frame rates. eSports should run well at 720p and some at 1080. More gpu intensive games should run at 720p with dialed down details.

35W parts: I've never been a fan of buying a gimped CPU when you can usually get the same results by under clocking. Plus, modern CPUs are so adept at dropping down to the lowest permissible idle state after task completion, I don't think there is a benefit in going to a lower TDP part unless you are specifically restrained by the cooling solution. Also, the standard parts have a "configurable TDP" of 45W or 65W. I wonder if it's a user available setting in mobo BIOS?

Derek Semeraro

Post by Derek Semeraro » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:00 am

2200G is a great addition to the budget market. It allows Ryzen to be a part of entry-level PC's without a video card being needed. Compared to the i3-8100, the CPU capability is slightly less but the integrated graphics are much better (though not the level of a dedicated video card). At $100, 2200G is a very good deal.

However, the 2400G is a tougher sell. While not a bad deal for the computing power it has to offer overall, it faces a dillemma. Budget builders may not want to spend +70% more money. And at the same time, enthusiasts builds will just add a video card that makes the 2400G's iGPU obsolete in comparison. With the prices of video cards highly inflated at the moment, 2400G does have a place for those who are saving up for a powerful GPU, but that's really it.
Last edited by Derek Semeraro on Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:40 am

Derek Semeraro wrote:2200G is a great addition to the budget market. It allows Ryzen to be a part of entry-level PC's without a video card being needed. Compared to the i3-8100, the CPU capability is slightly less but the integrated graphics are somewhat better. At $100, 2200G is a very good deal.

However, the 2400G is a tougher sell. While not a bad deal for the computing power it has to offer overall, it faces a dillemma. Budget builders may not want to spend +70% more money. And at the same time, enthusiasts builds will just add a video card that makes the 2400G's iGPU obsolete in comparison. With the prices of video cards highly inflated at the moment, 2400G does have a place for those who are saving up for a powerful GPU, but that's really it.
Saying "somewhat" is very inaccurate. Raven Ridge APU graphics are significantly better than anything intel has (but of course still fall short of a dGPU over $130 or so). I agree with the rest of your comments.

Derek Semeraro

Post by Derek Semeraro » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:47 pm

You're right. Upon looking at more benchmarks, the Ryzen's are significantly better graphically than the i3-8100. Both Ryzen APU's seem to be almost at the level of a GT 1030, which retailed at $70 and is $100 now due to the GPU shortage. This won't be enough for enthusiast standards, but it can still let the machine do things that Intel's integrated graphics couldn't. Modern games seem to run smoothly at 1080p, if settings are turned down to the lowest; I can't say this for Intel's iGPU's. These can also provide the extra horsepower needed for photo editing, video editing and 3d model creation on at a beginner level. Video and photo editing are tasks that benefit from having a decent or good GPU, but buying a high-end video card is not necessarily imperative. Of course, eventually games will get more demanding and those into creative work will want to have better performance. But, by then, the GPU price hike will probably be resolved, and, in any event, for many people, the Ryzen APU line will be a perfect solution for those who

The 2200G is a great deal for the money. Paying $100 for it's CPU alone last year was already not a bad deal, but the fact that it has $60-70 worth of GPU power on top of that and is still ~$100 is impressive. The 2400G is still a good deal, but the benchmarks all-around show only a marginal improvement compared to the 2200G.

dan

Post by dan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:56 am

what are good motherboards to use, atx ?