How to make an impact on green computing: target audiences

Ecological issues around computing. This is an experimental forum.

Moderators: Ralf Hutter, Lawrence Lee

padmewan

How to make an impact on green computing: target audiences

Post by padmewan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:16 am

This thought was triggered by this debate regarding individual vs. policy change. Sustainable, or at minimum, least-harmful, computing is important for individuals to buy into, but a handful of individuals cannot make a worldwide change.

To have a real and measurable impact on green computing, I believe that the next target audience after individuals must be corporations, and specifically (a) corporate IT decision-makers, and (b) corporate responsibility officers.

When (If?) EcoPCReview launches, I would want to give immediate thought on how to target articles to those two constituencies. I would also begin exporing how to syndicate articles for publication in the websites and magazines that both constituencies read regularly. I would also put together a campaign, including presenting at related conferences, on what IT professionals and corporate responsibility officers can do to minimize the impact of their corporations' computing.

Such an initiative ought to be supported by a combination of the vendors who are leading the way in this area (after all, while a lot of this turns on not-purchasing, at the end of the day large companies turn over computers at a phenomenal rate) as well as relevant foundations.

Thoughts?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:24 am

Sounds good. EPCR is not far from launch. The interface is finally where we want it to be. Now it's time to chase down the content contributions from experts in the field who made promises...

derekva

Post by derekva » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:41 am

Do you have an ETA for launch, Mike?

I'm looking forward to the site - could help me figure out ideas for reducing power consumption on my 24/7 file server (step one: ditch the Northwood P4...)

-Derek