Green Laptops

Ecological issues around computing. This is an experimental forum.

Moderators: Ralf Hutter, Lawrence Lee

coolTechno

Green Laptops

Post by coolTechno » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Any one tried any Green Laptops like Asus U6 Bamboo Laptop which used plastic made from recyclable raw materials.

seems good except for the price.. not that expensive than the normal, but then why a normal budget tight person would go for it

erichatesmice

Post by erichatesmice » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:24 pm

I have not tried that laptop per say but my question is why pay a price premium for greener equipment. Many companies are making the change to more environmentally friendly products, and in many cases, this does not affect the price. In many cases, the price goes DOWN (case in point, Apple iPods and Macs).

On another note, the term "green" is thrown around a bit loosely. It it simply means decomposable or (ideally infinitely) renewable, then nothing beats aluminum. Aluminum is properly recycled can be reused with no loss in material. And if you're going to pay a price premium for it, it sure is a lot nicer than plastic.

electrodacus
-- Vendor --

Post by electrodacus » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:12 pm

erichatesmice wrote:I have not tried that laptop per say but my question is why pay a price premium for greener equipment.
This made me do some calculation that I wanted to do for a long time :D
I calculated how much land will have each person if you take the total surface of the earth land and divided to earth population I excluded the oceans and Ice caps all the rest is in.
And the number is 23255 m2 this is about 250000 sq ft (I'm from Europe so I'm used with metric ) and this is a really small number I must admit I expected more .
And this includes desert, dry land, garbage we already did :D .
To get more in details this is a 152m x 152m and you will need to live from that land and all the garbage you make need to be there I don't know how I will be able to change the oil in the car since one liter of oil will pollute 1 million liters of water.
Next year I hope to move off grid with my wife on a 10 acre parcel this is about 40000m2 this is almost the same as every person will have according to calculation. But even if is not a great land for some standards is much more than (having desert and ..... ).

I guess this was not appropriate on this forum :roll: but I still wanted to share.

Nightingale

Post by Nightingale » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:19 pm

I was not even aware they made green laptops, shows how much I know

jamesdd

Post by jamesdd » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:05 am

The new macbook is pretty green! As green as it gets...

adikt

Post by adikt » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:25 pm

The greenest laptop you can buy is a secondhand one :)

zodaex

Post by zodaex » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:00 pm

The Ultimate Green PC is the Alienware Cyborg Green PC. :shock:

qviri

Post by qviri » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:00 pm

adikt wrote:The greenest laptop you can buy is a secondhand one :)
Precisely. The greenest laptop is one that doesn't get manufactured. Buy used if you have to buy at all.