Is there any way to patch up a cracked LCD screen?

Ecological issues around computing. This is an experimental forum.

Moderators: Ralf Hutter, Lawrence Lee

mathias

Is there any way to patch up a cracked LCD screen?

Post by mathias » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:17 am

I first was going to put this in OT, but then I felt that this topic really belongs in here despite being more useful for things other than PCs.

I'm wondering if there's any way to make a damaged LCD screen display better.

I noticed that pressing down on it seemed to make it worse, so the first thing I've tried was using scotch tape to pull at parts of the screen, that didn't help at all.

I know there's other ways to make a device with a cracked screen usable, I heard rockbox has a version designed for sightless operation, and I bet a version of linux could be made that would use only parts of a screen, and from everything I hear making a cracked LCD screen good as new is not practical at all, but I'm thinking, if there was some technique to making one a bit less broken, even that would be a pretty useful trick.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:07 pm

Maybe open it up, supporting the panel somehow from behind?

thepwner

Post by thepwner » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:57 am

I doubt it. I don't know though, but I doubt it. Liquid Crystal Display. Liquid + crack...eh...I doubt it'll be able to be repaired for less than a new monitor. And ya you could probably compile a custom linux kernel and get linux to only use parts of the screen, but you'd have to know what you're doing in programming. I would say just get a new montior, they're cheap, and people would practically give you an old CRT...

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:49 pm

I doubt you'd need to do any programming at all to limit yourself to a part of the display on linux. Probably xorg can be configured to do it, or even just the window manager.