HTPC Motherboard Replacement/ New Build

Ecological issues around computing. This is an experimental forum.

Moderators: Ralf Hutter, Lawrence Lee

levesqu6

HTPC Motherboard Replacement/ New Build

Post by levesqu6 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:00 pm

I have been looking around for quite sometime for this build and am looking for some input. Lets start with what i have.

3700+ socket 939
1 gig ram
7000 PCIE series 512meg graphics card
6200 PCIE 64meg card sitting in the closet
dead nforce4 motherboard
Seasonic 330watt power supply
Western digital 500gig drive
PATA DVD burner
PCI TV capture card

I have been looking on ebay for a replacement socket 939 board, but they want entirely too much for old technology i think. So im considering a new motherboard/cpu/memory.

This is a 24/7 machine. I used to run folding@home at the lowest cool 'n quite clock speed in ubuntu (myth TV box). I run folding so the machine is doing something while it sits. i figure the extra power consumption probably isnt that much to run folding per the contribution it provides. I would like to continue doing this...

To make this thing future proof i think the ultimate goals are to...
smallest power draw possible
be able to play 1080p/i video....handle blueray...etc
remain supported in linux and next generation of windows for a reasonable time

The e5200 looks pretty appealing, but the core 2 integrated video boards seem to suck unless you pony out like $100+ for one of the new nvidia chipsets. I have looked at some of the AMD solutions, but my current understanding is that they arent as good as intel 45nm for power consumption.

Im open to all sorts of solutions from any brand, but would like to avoid spending too much money on it. $40-50 for a used replacement socket 939 board is my base. So it seems that spending $150ish to make it last many more years isnt unreasonable. I would love to reduce e-waste by reusing, but people just want too much money for old stuff. I will sell off my old parts.

Another thing im curious about is the power consumption of 2 gigs vs 4 gigs of ddr2 800 ram. Ram is dirt cheap right now. ~$25 for 4gigs with rebates now.

SpeedEuphoria

Post by SpeedEuphoria » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:11 am

I dont have much to add, the E5200 should do great. I have an E8400 which I'm sure draws a little more from the more cache, but it runs 2520 at .9V so great performance per watt, I chose it over a quad as I dont need that much but like the power

Look for 1.8v ram as that will help a little.

On the ram if your considering 2x1GB sticks to 2x2GB sticks I dont think it will be that much compared to just a single 2GB stick, but who knows?

vertigo

Post by vertigo » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:18 pm

I would love to reduce e-waste by reusing, but people just want too much money for old stuff. I will sell off my old parts.
They want money to buy new stuff. Anyway, you can't expect it to be cheap because hardware (and software) companies are trying their best to make slightly old hardware obsolete.