a bit of pollution for green

Ecological issues around computing. This is an experimental forum.

Moderators: Ralf Hutter, Lawrence Lee

colm

a bit of pollution for green

Post by colm » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:49 pm

I really got sick of aerosol paints. The pc case can conquer alot of paint and materials deemed useless.

I opened up the two part urethane, stunk up my bathroom, made sure no sparks around and let my pc case have a few thick layers:

power consumption has no choice but to be down.

noise level is way down.

taking air from two sides of a sheet of steel with urethane is like making a very tough fuse box.

anything with bearings is going to last longer

I even urethaned the i/o shield. once upon a time, they used to be nonconductive. As most know today they are stainless lightning rods...

the fuse box is 20 years old and survived all of them....because of high grade urethane...

and ya know what else? it helps deter alphas from leaving solder in the first place, and if it does leave high stressed solders...urethane is where they stick degraded plutonium/uranium. It can sure as heck handle a pc...

why do we get tortured with badly painted pc cases claiming green, when in the short run that is all they last....? polluting, eating electricity, making noise, and becoming dangerous...?

because real materials have real chemistry and it supposedly bungs up the sky...someone and thier overgreen attitude is killing us, like a car that recycles its own exhaust....

bobkoure

Re: a bit of pollution for green

Post by bobkoure » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:53 am

colm wrote:like a car that recycles its own exhaust....
Erm google "EGR" - turns out some actually do recycle their exhaust - to control combustion temps.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:58 am

And, recirculating the exhaust can be used to control an engine without a throttle.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:09 am

"BMW is looking to electricity generated by exhaust gas heat and solar power to take the electrical load off the engine and thereby improve efficiency and reduce emissions.

In fact, BMW has found that reusing the otherwise wasted exhaust heat to power a thermoelectric generator could reduce fuel consumption by as much as 5%. The benefit comes from storing the electricity and using it to pre-heat the engine or power the air-conditioning systems. BMW is also working on employing solar panels on the roofs of its cars. Prototypes have achieved 200W output levels, enough to improve fuel efficiency by about 1%, and more advanced solar panel designs could easily improve on this figure. " http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1024 ... technology

Unfortunately not everything green, is really green...

" Hailed as a miracle by Detroit automakers even today, catalytic converters have been reducing smog for 20 years. The converters break down compounds of nitrogen and oxygen from car exhaust that can combine with hydrocarbons, also from cars, and be cooked by sunlight into smog.

But researchers have suspected for years that the converters sometimes rearrange the nitrogen-oxygen compounds to form nitrous oxide, known as laughing gas. And nitrous oxide is a potent greenhouse gas, more than 300 times more potent than carbon dioxide, the most common of the gases, that is warming the atmosphere, according to experts. "

http://www.junkscience.com/news2/catalyt.html