It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Atom mini-ITX + PCIe slot + GBe w/ Jumbo Frames?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:32 pm 

Update: After successfully finding a way to undervolt my E8400 to just 0.8V running at 1.2GHz, I am not satisfied with my total idle power consumption and am not convinced a G31 alone will get me to where I want to be. My idle power consumption is about 55W AC.

So I am leaning towards an Atom based mini-ITX system. I am running three 2TB Caviar Green drives in a RAID5 configuration on a Highpoint RocketRAID 2310. So that certainly limits just how low I can go, but that adds a requirement that the board have a PCIe slot (the card is PCIe x4, but I'd be OK running at x1 if that's all the slot supports). Another requirement is that the NIC be at least a GBe NIC and ideally one that supports Jumbo Frames.

I like the low draw of the new D510, but of all the boards I've seen, either it have a PCIe slot (something I need for the RAID adapter) but no GBe, or it has GBe but only a PCI slot. Any suggestions?

---------------------
OLD:
I'm looking to replace a G33 board that does not allow undervolting with a G31 one that does. I'd like to do some extreme undervolting/underclocking to get a really lower idle power consumption.

But since I'm using this as a file server I'd like maximum Gigabit Ethernet performance, and on my setup Jumbo Frames makes a world of difference (as my switch and all other computers support it).

I have an E8400 that I'd like to underclock to 1.2GHz and undervolt to a roughly 0.8V level. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:02 pm 

Looks like the ZOTAC NM10-ITX (NM10-A-E) does indeed have a PCIe x1 and GBe. Whether or not that GBe supports Jumbo Frames is another story.

UPDATE: I ended up getting the Zotac NM10-DTX (NM10-B-E) board. It's basically the same as the ITX version of the board but with a PCIe x16 slot as well.