iFixit the free repair manual

Ecological issues around computing. This is an experimental forum.

Moderators: Ralf Hutter, Lawrence Lee

Dirge

iFixit the free repair manual

Post by Dirge » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:16 am

I would like to draw everyone's attention to iFixit. You may already be aware of the fascinating teardowns they provide of the latest gadgetry. But the site also provides free service manuals to keep your gadgets going longer. This site is run as a business selling service parts alongside the manuals in order to fund their continued operation. Though I don't see why you cant buy parts from other suppliers.

Ars Technica hosted iFixit founder Kyle Wiens for one of their subscriber chats this week. Kyle's idea is to keep electronics running longer and to prevent e-waste. The transcript is available here

I found the idea of open source, Wiki style, community authored repair manuals intriguing and I hope they continue to grow the site.

scdr

Post by scdr » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:43 pm

In a similar area, I have found

http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/

handy on several occasions for keeping printers operating.

Dirge

Post by Dirge » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:44 am

Neat one, thanks for the linky. Should make it easier for people to keep their gear going longer.

herby

Re: iFixit the free repair manual

Post by herby » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:08 pm

It's a good site. I've ordered parts from them and used their guides before. The tend not to have the cheapest prices, but they seem reliable (and I feel guilty using their guides and not buying). After fixing my g/f's Macbook I decided repairability will be a major factor in the next laptop I buy.