Why I can't trust other websites noise evaluations

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Reachable
Friend of SPCR

Re: Why I can't trust other websites noise evaluations

Post by Reachable » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:33 pm

I think you're absolutely right.

The first quoted statement is pure ignorance, and pretentious.

The second statement can be forgiven if he's not at all familiar with this website, but it's just as pretentious.

HFat

Post by HFat » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:59 am

I seem to have annoyed some people by posting my opinion of Anandtech a while back. I wouldn't trust them for anything.
Obviously I'd trust their noise evaluations a lot less than most of their stuff. Not because of the defensive opinionating of a single reviewer but because they obviously did not have the gear, the experience or the commitment required last time I looked their reviews. Are they trying to do serious noise evalutions now? It used to be that they didn't even try.

RIchardF

Post by RIchardF » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:47 am

HFat wrote:I seem to have annoyed some people by posting my opinion of Anandtech a while back. I wouldn't trust them for anything.
Obviously I'd trust their noise evaluations a lot less than most of their stuff. Not because of the defensive opinionating of a single reviewer but because they obviously did not have the gear, the experience or the commitment required last time I looked their reviews. Are they trying to do serious noise evalutions now? It used to be that they didn't even try.
HardOCP doesn't even bother to post decibel numbers for the "noise" portion of their power supply reviews. So lazy and unprofessional despite the serious authoritative tone of their writing.

bastiaan

Post by bastiaan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:59 am

Yes, many websites don't offer quality results for hard-to-quantify things like noise and power consumption (!).

The good news is that with SPCR, we know that everything they measure, they measure well.