News on Windows Home Server

Offloading HDDs and other functions to remote NAS or servers is increasingly popular
Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Any hints?

Post by Firetech » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:13 pm

I appreciate the article take time to produce but any hints on which components you are comparing?
Will it be AMD v Intel & Dual v Single Core CPU?
I presume you will be working on the basis of finding the overall lowest power consuming set-up that is still capable of running WHS standard features?

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Any hints?

Post by MikeC » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:51 pm

Firetech wrote:I appreciate the article take time to produce but any hints on which components you are comparing?
Will it be AMD v Intel & Dual v Single Core CPU?
I presume you will be working on the basis of finding the overall lowest power consuming set-up that is still capable of running WHS standard features?
The project has been delayed due to overload on the editorial team. In reality, the quest for "the overall lowest power consuming set-up" is really not what the article meant to be about. Yeah, we'll certainly cover that to some degree, but.... Anyone who has studied SPCR reviews can assemble a low power system, and almost any reasonable combination of components from the last.... 5 years of PC technology can run WHS. IE, a Pentium 3 1ghz will probably do it fine with a 250W 80+ PSU.

Firetech
Friend of SPCR

Re: Any hints?

Post by Firetech » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:13 pm

MikeC wrote: The project has been delayed due to overload on the editorial team.
Appreciated - same with everyones workload nowadays...
In reality, the quest for "the overall lowest power consuming set-up" is really not what the article meant to be about. Yeah, we'll certainly cover that to some degree, but.... Anyone who has studied SPCR reviews can assemble a low power system, and almost any reasonable combination of components from the last.... 5 years of PC technology can run WHS. IE, a Pentium 3 1ghz will probably do it fine with a 250W 80+ PSU.

I that isn't the purpose of the article then I'll look elsewhere as I already know how good the OS itself is.

Ender17

Post by Ender17 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:08 pm

any idea when the article will be finished?

rei

Post by rei » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:48 am

The Acer EasyStore was $399 recently with free additional 1TB drive as a special launch price--actually it might have been $499 CAD. It appears to be hitting e-tailers for $450-500 without the bonus drive regulary but is backordered.

The looks like a nice unit, from Acer of all people and the fan seems to be swappable.