Is this possible? wireless and wired networks at once

Offloading HDDs and other functions to remote NAS or servers is increasingly popular
60beetle60

Is this possible? wireless and wired networks at once

Post by 60beetle60 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi, I was thinking of taking out the hdds from my computer and putting them in a server and getting a ssd for my desktop to quieten it down a little as currently I reckon the Samsung f1s (suspended in antec solo) are the loudest components in my computer

Due to my dad manually capping my download speeds on the current network when he thinks Ive been downloading too much or when %of internet quota left is less than %of month left having the server connected to the current network just wont work as trying to get my files of the server at dialup speeds would plain suck...

So I was wondering if it would be possible to connect a another computer as a server to my desktop via crossover cable or another form of wired network and have it hold the hdds out of ears reach and use the current wireless network simultaneously for an internet connection????

ilovejedd

Re: Is this possible? wireless and wired networks at once

Post by ilovejedd » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:49 pm

60beetle60 wrote:Hi, I was thinking of taking out the hdds from my computer and putting them in a server and getting a ssd for my desktop to quieten it down a little as currently I reckon the Samsung f1s (suspended in antec solo) are the loudest components in my computer

Due to my dad manually capping my download speeds on the current network when he thinks Ive been downloading too much or when %of internet quota left is less than %of month left having the server connected to the current network just wont work as trying to get my files of the server at dialup speeds would plain suck...

So I was wondering if it would be possible to connect a another computer as a server to my desktop via crossover cable or another form of wired network and have it hold the hdds out of ears reach and use the current wireless network simultaneously for an internet connection????
Doable but I'm not sure if it's going to be necessary. I would think your dad would have set things up so that only internet traffic is monitored and stuff on the LAN is left alone.

In case the bandwidth capping is somewhat stupidly implemented, yes you can just connect your PC directly to the file server (kinda beats the purpose of the file server, though). I don't think you'd even need a crossover cable. Most new devices have auto-sensing so you can just use a straight through cable. Iirc, when I had to connect a computer to two different networks (neither is a direct PC-to-PC connection, though), I think I assigned static IPs to both computers. The wireless adapter connects to the internet so that one also had the DNS server assigned while the wired adapter only connects to the LAN so the DNS server was left blank.

60beetle60

Post by 60beetle60 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:57 pm

Cheers for the input, Ill figure out how hes been doing things and decide how to proceed from there. Its good to know it is possible

Fëanor

Post by Fëanor » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:38 am

Good luck; I always run into conflicts when combining a wireless connection with a wired one. When troubleshooting network issues on a laptop the first thing I do is disable the wireless adapter.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:10 pm

Maybe you can just put your computer out of ears reach with some longer cables?