Silencing Synology DS211j

Offloading HDDs and other functions to remote NAS or servers is increasingly popular
MassMan
Friend of SPCR

Silencing Synology DS211j

Post by MassMan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:38 am

Hi

I'm the happy owner of a Synology DS211j (official site)
I've got 2x 2tb western digital, WD20EARS-00MVWB0

The fan noise and the hdds spin sound is fine, but the seek noise is really really high. Probably because the hdds get screwed directly into the chassis. I have placed my Nas on 2 pieces of foam.

My camera is fucked so I can't take pics of my own Nas, but I've found pictures that show the internals of the DS211j:

Any ideas on how to silence this nas?

HFat

Re: Silencing Synology DS211j

Post by HFat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:12 am

You have loud drives to begin with. Are you willing to change them?

It looks like you could mount the drives in a less noisy manner with some work. You lack room on one side so it might not be easy. I guess you can't move the PCB sideways. I can't see if there's enough room for cables between the drives and the ports if you were to put in a new mounting system.
A more radical and probably easier solution would be a case transplant if you're OK with some expense and a larger NAS.

An easier mod would be to add some foam and possibly some mass. But I don't know if it's possible to make a real difference without changing the drives or the mounting system.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:44 am

I wouldn't call the WD20EARS loud. If the seeks are noisy I would first look into changing the AAM setting. Putting the whole NAS away is another solution, just make sure the cooling is good enough if you plan to put it in a cupboard or something. If that isn't an option I would sell the Synology box, build a new system with the same HDDs and make sure they are mounted in a better way.

HFat

Post by HFat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:59 am

I looked at the Hitachi in the picture... yeah, those WDs are apparently quiet (I haven't used WDs in a long time myself).

Some people like the Synology software. If you don't yeah: build your own x86 NAS. You'll have better performance and you'll be able to do more things with the box (if you care to).

MassMan
Friend of SPCR

Post by MassMan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:50 am

How do I enable AAM? There seems to be nothing in the Synology Storage Manager that can do it

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:57 am

I use hdparm for Linux or better perhaps Hitachi Feature Tool (it's on the Ultimate Boot CD). You will probably have to connect the HDDs to an x86 system for that. Hitachi Feature Tool works for any HDD, not just the Hitachis.

HFat

Post by HFat » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:14 am

You may be able to get hdparm to run on the Synology (best ask their forums or a Synology hacking forum if this kind of thing is officially frowned upon).