It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is SPCR Dead?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:06 am 

No articles or reviews in over 6 months, almost no forum activity.

Just curious.

Post subject: Re: Is SPCR Dead?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:25 am 

There's a chance (it's dying), I guess.

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:25 am 

Eh, SPCR is a small community, and not advertised. Unless you are explicitly searching for ways to silence your PC, you are not even going to know about the site.

Add the fact that most young ppl (I sound old now... damn) would rather use reddit, twitter, tumblr, random video sites and the like, (all high-noise and nigh impossible to search efficiently) meaning all traditional "forums" have problems retaining user numbers, and you'll see it's not really an SPCR problem, but a global.

Maybe creating & curating an official subreddit would mean more exposure, but we would also need content for it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:39 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

I know MikeC said he recently moved houses and has had to reconstruct the anechoic chamber, among a million other things when moving to a new house. I'm hoping things pick up a bit here when he's more settled.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:24 am 
Friend of SPCR

I posted a similar thread - it sure looks like the site is pretty dead.

I know that I need this site less then I did in the past as noise isn't an issue for hard drives anymore as I only use them in servers where I don't care about noise. For any workstations I use SSDs. And recent CPUs have much lower TDPs so cooling them quietly isn't much of a challenge. And the integrated graphics on Intel's recent CPUs is good enough for pretty much everything other than gaming and VR so you don't need to worry about cooling a graphics card as often. I have two HTPC builds in my house that are totally solid state so totally silent using HD-Plex cases.

But I really like the reviews here of CPUs, fans, cases, etc.

I hope the site comes back to life.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:38 pm 

wayner wrote:
I know that I need this site less then I did in the past as noise isn't an issue...
But I really like the reviews here...
I hope the site comes back to life.
I totally agree with this!
Noise is pretty much no longer a problem since coolers and cooling has improved while power consumption doesn't go up.
+ The last time I actually heard an internal HDD without actively listening for it was nearly 15 years ago.
+ PSUs are more efficient and no longer come with noisy 80mm exhaust fans.
+ Even mediocre CPU coolers are fairly quiet and good enough.
+ Cases with sufficient ventilation using 12+cm fans are the norm.
+ Fan manufacturers compete to make the quietest fans.
- My latest computer noise issue was a graphics card I bought some two years ago. An ASUS Radeon R9 280 Direct Cu II. It used a bit too much power to be efficiently cooled in my (relatively) heavily dust filtered case, so while under load the fans had to run at speeds that created too much noise.
The solution was to replace the graphics card with a better one, which happened to be based on a GeForce 1060. Roughly twice the performance at half the power consumption. Now it's sufficiently quiet for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:58 am 
Friend of SPCR

It's still just reassuring to visit here every day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:09 pm 

Yeah, I too jump to the forum new section and have the RSS in my feed. :)

TBH, in my last round of upgrades, I've had problems with cooling, as in cooling as silently as before. It seems pursuing margins and the process shrinks have eroded some of the achievements.

My i7-4770K was one of the first CPUs with the thermal material between the IHS and the chip, meaning even with a bigger CPU cooler, it is not kept as cool as the A8 I switched from. The newer i7s are even smaller, meaning it is even harder to extract all that heat. Maybe I should try delidding....

My GTX1080 with the same giant aftermarket Arctic cooler as my 290X has to be run at higher fan speeds (with noticeably higher fan noise) due to it artifacting at roughly 74°C. (It's OK at 71°C, but the difference is startling in sound.) The 290X had no problem like that with waaaay higher power draw and ran practically silent during gaming.

I did not replace my old, GOLD Seasonic X series 400W PSU, as Seasonic's newer Platinum versions all have a small electronic whine. I had no such problems with the gold one

With that said, SSDs are here to stay and are wonderful, and HDDs have also become steadily more quiet.