www.spcr.com soon please!

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

would you like this site to have www.spcr.com too ?

long due
33%
no way, our url is untouchable
10%
who cares
34%
not worth the trouble
23%

Total votes: 82

davide_casarin

www.spcr.com soon please!

Post by davide_casarin » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:46 pm

Why does the URL have to be so long ? Is it just me to like the short one too ? Express your PoV !

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:12 pm

"silentpcreview.com" have to stay in any way... Many websites or manufacturers link to this URL for reviews or forum articles... SPCR itself means nothing for a first time user, but "silentpcreview.com" tell him it's about silent pc's...

davide_casarin

not to change, just to add

Post by davide_casarin » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:19 pm

I never meant to do any harm to silentpcreview.com , just that I'd like spcr.com to point to the same ip as well and this for the occasions where 2-finger-typing ppl like me need to type it.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:41 pm

I can't vote 'cause I don't think it's long overdue, but it would be a pretty good idea, and likely not too expensive to register that domain name and have the registrar point it to the same DNS nameservers.

davide_casarin

Post by davide_casarin » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:53 pm

one of the main contenders if not the winner, is "who cares" haha !
If you don't care go away and don't vote lol
I must have stepped on their foot in a previous life.... they come and vote just to make my party loose

Talz

Post by Talz » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:27 pm

It's a bit long, but not terribly, and that's what bookmarks are for.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:01 pm

davide_casarin wrote:one of the main contenders if not the winner, is "who cares" haha !
If you don't care go away and don't vote lol
I must have stepped on their foot in a previous life.... they come and vote just to make my party loose
It's you that failed to add a "not worth the cost" option.

mazurek

Post by mazurek » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:46 pm

Probably really cheap, if you are feeling charitable, donate the domain, people will use it

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:25 pm

Have you even checked if someone's already squating it? They want $688-10000 for it. That would be a pretty big donation, what kind of status would that get you, "Filthy rich friend of SPCR"?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:44 pm

spcr.info appears to be up for grabs. And that's a more appropriate TLD.

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:27 am

Performing a whois at Internic... That's what I get:
Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

Domain Name: SPCR.COM
Registrar: DOMAINDISCOVER
Whois Server: whois.domaindiscover.com
Referral URL: http://www.domaindiscover.com
Name Server: NS.BUYDOMAINS.COM
Name Server: THIS-DOMAIN-FOR-SALE.COM
Updated Date: 10-apr-2004
Creation Date: 02-apr-2002
Expiration Date: 02-apr-2005

>>> Last update of whois database: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:24:34 EST <<<
Ask them how much they want, I'm sure you'll be surprised! :)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: www.spcr.com soon please!

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:12 am

davide_casarin wrote:Why does the URL have to be so long ? Is it just me to like the short one too ? Express your PoV !
Ever heard of a bookmark? No typing required, just a mouse click.

nici

Post by nici » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:01 am

I just start Firefox, type "sil", click arrow down and enter.. :wink: If you want it really easy, you can bookmark the page and put it as a shortcut on your desktop :wink:

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:37 am

Bookmark !!! ... Bookmark !!! ... You mean ... it's not your home page ... :shock: :o :shock: :!: :!: ..

luminous
Patron of SPCR

Post by luminous » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:15 pm

Could not have put it better peteamer.

On a more serious note, as long as the cost is not prohibitive I think we should try and grab spcr.com. Someone sooner or later will come along and take it. We run the risk of allowing some prat to impersonate this great site. Just take a look at our logo, anyone with spcr.com will appear to be legit.

On a side note, I thought legislation had been passed to stop domain name squatting. There was a time when people tried to register all sorts of names and then hold people to ransom over it. I know it happened over the UK quite a bit, and the squatters had to release the names. Cannot remember the circumstances or remember the details though...damn my memory.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:26 pm

peteamer wrote:Bookmark !!! ... Bookmark !!! ... You mean ... it's not your home page ... :shock: :o :shock: :!: :!: ..
ROFL!!

On a separate note, if you want to be a "mega filthy rich friend of SPCR", how about doing something more constructive? I'm sure MikeC or one of the other reviewers can tell you what they need. A nice short domain name doesn't do anything for the content that is the true value of this site.

If you really want spcr.com, just add it to your host file (or the one on your DNS).

67.15.76.241 www.spcr.com

You'd need to check periodically, of course. Or write a simple program to update it every day or so.

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:56 pm

we should get spcr.com in our ongoing quest to rule over the computing universe.

MikeK
Patron of SPCR

Post by MikeK » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:46 pm

Obviously you'd still want to keep the www.silentpcreview.com name.
Here's something that nobody has mentioned. If someone new hears about SPCR, they type in www.spcr.com and get the squatter page. If they're not freaks like us they might not care to try harder to find the site. I guess most new people find the site through links though. I remember I typed the url a lot when I first started coming here. I didn't always have a favorite like when I'd go to it on other people's computers. Typing "spcr" gives this site as the first link on a google search so that's good. It would be nice since SPCR is a big part of the branding of this site. Maybe they'll get tired and give up the domain. I remember hearing about a case where someone was using I think a movie actor's name in a domain name and they sued successfully for rights of the domain name. I don't know of any precedents in a situation like this.

In short, I agree with cotdt :)

BrytaPlanka

Post by BrytaPlanka » Tue May 22, 2007 4:02 pm

MikeK wrote:Obviously you'd still want to keep the www.silentpcreview.com name.
Here's something that nobody has mentioned. If someone new hears about SPCR, they type in www.spcr.com and get the squatter page. If they're not freaks like us they might not care to try harder to find the site. I guess most new people find the site through links though. I remember I typed the url a lot when I first started coming here. I didn't always have a favorite like when I'd go to it on other people's computers. Typing "spcr" gives this site as the first link on a google search so that's good. It would be nice since SPCR is a big part of the branding of this site. Maybe they'll get tired and give up the domain. I remember hearing about a case where someone was using I think a movie actor's name in a domain name and they sued successfully for rights of the domain name. I don't know of any precedents in a situation like this.

In short, I agree with cotdt :)
Youre right and I agree with you! www.spcr.com should point to this URL since its always mentioned as SPCR in all articles, news and forums on the web anyway.

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Tue May 22, 2007 6:13 pm

you should get spcr.com but keep it a secret, make external parties learn of it only when we deem them worthy..... :P

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Tue May 22, 2007 6:13 pm

davide_casarin wrote:Why does the URL have to be so long ? Is it just me to like the short one too ? Express your PoV !
You're just saying this, because you want to sell the www.spcr.com domain you registered years ago :).

I think it's fine. I already have it named SPCR in my firefox bookmarks, so the tab doesn't take that much space in my bookmarks panel.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue May 22, 2007 6:35 pm

Erssa wrote:
You're just saying this, because you want to sell the www.spcr.com domain you registered years ago :).
Naturally... well someone wants to anyway. And the asking price these days is $7098. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope the owner's having fun with it. :lol:

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Tue May 22, 2007 6:48 pm

I onced asked the owner of www.cloneman.com , he said he never sold a domain for less than six figures :roll: