Name of "Cooling" (formerly "Heatsinks")

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

What's a good name (and realm of discussion) for the "Cooling" forum?

Cooling
No votes
Heatsinks
13%
Heatsinks and Cooling
38%
Heatsinks and Chip Cooling
50%

Total votes: 8

Justin_R

Name of "Cooling" (formerly "Heatsinks")

Post by Justin_R » Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:37 pm

One of the things I've liked about the SPCR forums is that they're organized by component, so it's easy to know where to go if you've got a loud X. Renaming the "Heatsinks" forum to "Cooling" has broken this design scheme, and I don't think it's for the better.

I found "Heatsinks" to be a very specific forum title, whereas "Cooling" is rather generic. For example, fans could easily be thought of as part of "Cooling", but there's already a "Fans and Fan Control Forum" for fans.

What else is supposed to be discussed in the "Cooling" forum besides heatsinks? Watercooling, maybe? Peltiers (ha!)? Wouldn't something like hard drive cooling be better off in the "Hard Drives" forum? I guess underclocking and undervolting would be a good match for this forum.

As it currently stands, I don't think it's obvious that discussions of heatsinks belong in the "Cooling" forum, so I (for one) think that the forum should be named "Heatsinks and Cooling" or "Heatsinks and Chip Cooling" or something like that. More specificity is better if you don't want users confused about where their post should go.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:52 pm

It's meant to cover all kinds of HS (CPU, video, chipset, HDD) as well as watercooling. It matches the category on the main SPCR menu that were changed and reorganizaed at the same time. I suppose we could put a bit of subtext to explain -- All Kinds of Heatsinks and Watercooling?

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:32 am

I would have to agree with his points, I also found the word 'cooling' to be confusing and I have been here for a while now. If someone was new here and saw the word cooling, I think he would be lost, as nearly everything is related to cooling in some way. You have the category 'power supplies', so if I wanted to talk about changing the fan of the PSU would I put this in the 'power supplies' category or 'cooling'?

But I see where you are comming from Mike, it is pretty difficult to categorise all things related to cooling, since it is not just CPU's at play.

I have an idea, how about something like 'CPU cooling' and then have another category called 'component cooling' or 'other cooling' and finally 'advance cooling'. CPU cooling is probably one of the most talked about subjects and should have a category in it's own right. CPU cooling concerns most people, as it produces so much heat and is the hottest component. Other cooling could handle the rest such as chipset, graphics, harddrive etc. bracketed note for this and finally advance cooling for water, passive and other extreme methods of cooling such as refridgeration.

Something along these lines would be much easier to navigate in my opinion. I have not given too much thought but just 'cooling' I find too confusing. :(

Probably I will have a better suggestion later but for now good night or good day all. :roll: