Requesting a tutorial section

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

joe123

Requesting a tutorial section

Post by joe123 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:08 pm

Hey everyone,
I've been lurking here for many many months now, I always thought it was a good idea to keep "quiet" :P . I admire the such detail that is put into reviews here at SPCR, I always check the homepage for new reviews.
My suggestion is: Can a Tutorial section be added into the forums? I realise there is a Do-It-Yourself section in the article section, but i would like to see things such as : How to mount Fans with cable ties, DIY case modding, Make your own Ducted Intake ect.

I know there are such tutorials scattered around the different sub-forums, some are pinned, but a section specificaly for tutorials would make SPCR an even better place. Thank you, Joe

joe123

Post by joe123 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:26 pm

Comments are welcome! Good and Bad, Thanks.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:31 pm

Greetings Joe & welcome to SPCR,

I think that we essentially already have how-to threads and articles, so, I'm not sure what else could be added? The thread on finding and identifying then noise sources is pretty much SPCR in a nutshell.

joe123

Post by joe123 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:36 pm

Thankyou for you reply,

It is true that the topic SPCR in a Nutshell has many tutorials. But, a user may like to post his/her own tutorial, for example : How to build Wooden Hardrive Enclosure.

Of course, there is most probably a tutorial on how to do it, but people may add something different or may know of a better way of doing it. Also, it would be more formal because you would have a list of tutorials in the one section. I hope this makes sense :) Joe.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:23 am

joe123......I agree with you. It is difficult to find posts on DIY subjects. I have posted a large number of such topics. Most just disappear. I can't even find them myself. If you search through my many posts you might find some.

As to an exact step-by-step how-to.......it takes a lot of time to do such a thing. And I hesitate to make the effort knowing it will be lost in the archives in a few days.....no matter how good it is.

Like this one.....I posted pictures, but no how-to.

joe123

Post by joe123 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:38 pm

Yea, when I type how to... the search engine comes up with to many random results. So instead, i just type in Bluefornt in search for author and i filter through them instead. Good work your doing there Bluefront.
As to an exact step-by-step how-to.......it takes a lot of time to do such a thing. And I hesitate to make the effort knowing it will be lost in the archives in a few days.....no matter how good it is.
Thats the kind of work Im talking about, In-depth, How-To tutorials. Joe

joe123

Post by joe123 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:26 pm

So, have the moderators made a decision? I'm very eager to hear the outcome, Joe.

DanW

Post by DanW » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:51 am

same here, though I'm thinking it might be a good idea to moderate what can get into the forum in the first place.

It would possibly be beneficial to grant regular DIY people like bluefront permission to create a new thread in the forum, but most other people only permission to reply. If they need/want a thread moving to the DIY forum a moderator can do that. That way it'll keep the forum clean from clutter, and possibly as a biproduct stop people asking questions that have been answered time and time again, because they just can't find it in the plethora of information that SPCR has on the site.

hth,
Dan