It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Spam
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:58 am 

It’s getting more prolific, and some recent ones containing fraud and viruses, etc. Is it not possible to screen new threads, started by people with very low / zero post counts? So any such thread doesn’t immediately get posted, but waits for a mod to clear it first?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:46 am 

i know what you mean. not been part of the group for long but have seen lots of these spam posts. i just dont click on them and especially dont click on their web links. i treat them like hostile emails.

im sure that there must be some way to stops these. as they are spoiling a great knowledge base forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:52 am 

Um, guys, is it that big of a problem to just ignore these for half a day before they get burninated by the mods? It's pretty obvious what's spam and what isn't even from the title, so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:01 am 

qviri wrote:
Um, guys, is it that big of a problem to just ignore these for half a day before they get burninated by the mods? It's pretty obvious what's spam and what isn't even from the title, so...

Anyone who uses the forum by clicking "View new posts since last visit" is going to get pretty p'd off by spam; I just don't see why we have to tolerate the spam at all, no other forum I use allows the blatant spamming that SPCR is usually subjected to. It is so simple to stop this kind of spam, you just disallow new members from posting html, this weeds out the spammers from the genuine ones, also it will massively decrease the burden on the mods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:31 am 

jaganath wrote:
qviri wrote:

Anyone who uses the forum by clicking "View new posts since last visit" is going to get pretty p'd off by spam;

I use "view new posts" -- a brilliant feature BTW -- and I am not terribly bothered by it.

I do admit that by the time I usually wake up, said posts could have been irritating people on the other side of the pond for six hours, but I went to bed around 10 am GMT today and I saw something like one spam post.

Quote:
I just don't see why we have to tolerate the spam at all, no other forum I use allows the blatant spamming that SPCR is usually subjected to. It is so simple to stop this kind of spam, you just disallow new members from posting html, this weeds out the spammers from the genuine ones, also it will massively decrease the burden on the mods.

If you disable IMG tags, a new member won't be able to post pictures of his setup asking for help.
If you disable URL tags, he won't be able to link to the case model he has, or to a page generated by a specifications-detecting program, or said pictures posted elsewhere.
If you make people jump through hoops, some will be turned off, and not necessarily the stupidest ones.

I just don't see the benefit in SPCR becoming more closed up and less friendly to new posters just because some morons think spamming is a valid business plan. But of course that's entirely subjective.

Perhaps the answer could be creating more moderators, especially in Europe and maybe AUS/NZ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:38 am 
SPCR Reviewer

We're always at work on the spam issue, but most of it takes place behind the scenes.

Here's several recent threads on this topic:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/vi ... hp?t=33094

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/vi ... hp?t=32830

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/vi ... hp?t=33475