SPCR Article RSS Feed

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

birkoff

SPCR Article RSS Feed

Post by birkoff » Fri May 04, 2007 3:31 am

I've been following the articles on SPCR quite some time and use Internet Explorer 7 as my RSS Feed reader.

Unfortunately the SPCR RSS Feed has a so called DTD which IE7 does not allow. Is it possible to remove this definition from the file so it is properly recognized and i can add it to my feed list?

I am sure others also have this problem.

Here (http://blogs.msdn.com/rssteam/articles/ ... Guide.aspx) is some information including info about the DTD and what to do (see section III)

TIA and best regards,

Birkoff

PS: the feed for the forums works without a problem.

Code: Select all

Internet Explorer cannot display this feed 

Internet Explorer does not support feeds with DTDs. 
     Go back to the previous page. 

More information 

This feed contains a DTD (Document Type Definition). DTDs are used to define a structure of a webpage. Internet Explorer does not support DTDs in feeds.

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Fri May 04, 2007 12:41 pm

This is more a Windows/IE security implementation issue than an RSS issue. The RSS specification states that all RSS files must conform to the XML 1.0 specification, as published on the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) website. That XML specification explicitly outlines the use of DOCTYPE and DTD for the definition and inclusion of entities in an XML document.

So while the presence of the DOCTYPE statement may conflict with some IE browser settings it is a valid part of an RSS feed. The MS site also outlines how to enable the use of Doctype/DTD in feed reading.

nightmorph

Post by nightmorph » Fri May 04, 2007 9:04 pm

--
Last edited by nightmorph on Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birkoff

Post by birkoff » Fri May 04, 2007 11:47 pm

why does everyone always starts complaining what microsoft is doing wrong. This is a topic about site feedback, not microsoft

i will not use any other browser other than IE because i don't have too. Currently i have around 30 RSS feeds and have had many many more in the past. the SPCR Feed is the first one i find that gives me this error, so clearly there must be a typo in it or something.
So while the presence of the DOCTYPE statement may conflict with some IE browser settings it is a valid part of an RSS feed. The MS site also outlines how to enable the use of Doctype/DTD in feed reading.
if you say that it is supported and microsoft has information on how to implement in correctly, than what's the issue here?

birkoff

Post by birkoff » Fri May 04, 2007 11:49 pm

I would like to thank the webmaster for helping me out with this problem.

As i was just trying to get a RSS validator for the feed i noticed i can now open the feed in IE.

Best regards,

Birkoff

NyteOwl

Post by NyteOwl » Sat May 05, 2007 10:46 am

why does everyone always starts complaining what microsoft is doing wrong. This is a topic about site feedback, not microsoft

i will not use any other browser other than IE because i don't have too. Currently i have around 30 RSS feeds and have had many many more in the past. the SPCR Feed is the first one i find that gives me this error, so clearly there must be a typo in it or something.
Becasue the problem is not with the feed, but with the implementation of feed reading that Micrsoft chhoses to use in their browser. There is no typo in the feed.
if you say that it is supported and microsoft has information on how to implement in correctly, than what's the issue here?
The issue is that YOU will have to enable the "feature" in IE that lets it handle DTD's in feeds. MS has chosen to turn this off by default. Again, this is a choice by Microsoft for their browser and NOT a problem with the feed.