Test Method: Vertical Open-Bench vs Horizontal In-Case

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

farns

Test Method: Vertical Open-Bench vs Horizontal In-Case

Post by farns » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:02 pm

I noticed some site (www.benchmarkreviews.com) tested a Xigmatek 1283 or 1284 HSF against a TRUE and others in both open-bench and installed horizontally in a case.
The in-case review favoured the Xigmatek and from memory they thought it was down to the heatpipes (and fluid within) being horizontal or something.

I guess open-bench is better in that the results will stand for ever pretty much as they in no way dependent of the CFM and airflow pattern of a testing chassis.
But for joe average like me , albeit with a quiet-cooling focused chassis (passive CPU and GPU, foamed HDD, slipstreams @ 500rpm etc) I would like to know if "installed in tower case" test method changes the rankings in any way, mainly due to horizontal mounting and case airlflow patterns, as you already test HSFs with a directly mounted fan.