This forum is so quiet and dead

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

laststop

This forum is so quiet and dead

Post by laststop » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:16 pm

Shame this great place seem like a practical ghost town. Just an observation. Maybe you need better advertising.

m1st

Re: This forum is so quiet and dead

Post by m1st » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:58 pm

I've noticed it too, and it saddens me to see it. I think a lot of it is that the market really has caught up and matured its quiet offerings. The reason why we needed articles on FanMate2, the 7v trick, and SpeedFan was because there weren't good market solutions for slowing down fans back in the day. Now, most high-end motherboards have very good fan control suites.

CPUs and GPUs have changed, too. My Prolimatech Megahalems is such overkill for my Haswell proc (which doesn't overclock anyways >:[ ), so running it with a fan at 400rpm keeps it nice and cool. Back in the day, I had to turn up my fans whenever I wanted to play a game or do anything CPU-intensive. I used to have to put aftermarket coolers on my GPUs because they were terrible at idle. The Accelero's and Setsugen's of the world are less necessary.

And you have other changes that completely changed the market. The idea of a good, fanless power supply 10 years ago was just a pipe dream. As power supply efficiency passed 90%, however, it became a real possibility. No more fan swaps necessary. I've been running only SSDs on my workstations for a few years now with all my data on a server. Another source of noise eliminated.

I know this is all what we've been working towards, but it's sad to see it almost arrive. Mike talked about it a few years ago when he talked about an anniversary of this website. It made me sad because it read like a forward-looking obituary. He said something about we were approaching a time where SPCR's mission was fulfilled (because computers were finally quiet enough). We're not quite there yet, but we are very close. I will always love this forum and be grateful for the things I've learned over the years.

Pappnaas

Post by Pappnaas » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:38 pm

Yes, it is kind of quiet in here.

No, it doesn't bother me.

But it might have influence on clicks and advertising and on the contents. But as long as Mike doesn't tell us it's going worse, i won't bother.

And as long as we are posting and exchanging knowledge, nothing is dead in here.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:58 am

I'm expecting it to be quiet ;)

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:44 am

frenchie wrote:I'm expecting it to be quiet ;)
Ah, beautiful. :)

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:24 pm

SPCR forums have never been huge traffic forum, its more a niche forum, that serves its purpose very well, the community is very helpful but small, being low traffic you wont find that much post on the daily basis.

But even on OCN, there is a silent PC section that barely gets any posts, while the other sections the threads dissapear in hours from the first pages. I think most poeple accept noise from their computers or dont care about it, so there is not that big interest from the average user, but certainly there is a market small but very demanding on quiet products.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:08 pm

the lack of avatars, gaudy signatures, embedded youtube videos and working emoticons tends to keep out the riff raff. -thankfully.

mkk

Post by mkk » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:23 pm

I feel it's a fairly okay amount of traffic, though I'm sure there are are many that are just silently reading the forum that could easily contribute. Don't be afraid to comment on a thread you find interesting, peeps! Also consider mentioning SPCR elsewhere in relevant topics.

Silent PC - Because I'm worth it.

laststop

Post by laststop » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:51 pm

I agree with the comments. It is almost brainless to make a silent pc now compared to 10 years ago. Building silent pc's with forward looking specs is rly a passion of mine. I sell a PC every year and build a new one and all the people that have bought my pc's are in love with them.

I almost want to start a silent PC business but I just don't have the funds to do it and my credit isnt that great.

My next build is gonna be awesome can't wait to show it off

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:54 pm

laststop wrote:I agree with the comments. It is almost brainless to make a silent pc now compared to 10 years ago. Building silent pc's with forward looking specs is rly a passion of mine.
Agreed. It can still be a nice challenge building a silent, powerful and well cooled PC that is quiet at both idle and load. Bonus points if you can do it with dust filters as well; I usually remove them to get decent airflow with low RPM fans (120mm @ sub-600RPM). :P