Building new system - Newegg, Jab-tech and Buy.com reviews..

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

einsteingodel

Building new system - Newegg, Jab-tech and Buy.com reviews..

Post by einsteingodel » Sun May 06, 2007 4:28 pm

I’m building a new silent system from scratch this week, and placed a total of 4 orders from three different vendors. Here is my personal experience from the vendors I used, posting this shall it prove useful to others contemplating these companies. In terms of speed, communication, and overall service, I rate them as fallows:

1) Newegg.com: Order confirmation within seconds, tracking number within hours, huge, well packed box at my doorstep 2 days later. Rating: 10 out of 10.

2) Jab-tech.com: Order confirmation within minutes, tracking number the next day, well packed box at my doorstep 3 days later. Amazing service and prices from what appears to be a small company. I reckon that if their warehouse was closer, they would have matched or beat Newegg. Will order again. Rating: 10 out of 10.

3) Buy.com: Order confirmation within minutes, confusing, self contradictory ‘Surprise out of stock’ and ‘Order sent to warehouse’ emails a few hours later. The ‘Surprise out of stock’ email spoke only of a single item, the power supply, and directed me to a link which informed me that the item was indeed in stock. After 40 minutes of hold time on their customer service line, I finally spoke to a lady who lacked the skill of putting a personal touch to the art of reading pre-set answers from a computer screen. I try to duck from the boilerplate being dished out at me, and pleasantly explain that I just want a simple answer – the power supply in question is still listed as ‘in stock’ on their site, and just want the straight dope – do they have the item physically inside their warehouse, or not? Surely she must have the means to query that item number and see if they have any sitting in their warehouse or at least enroute from a supplier. And if they did not, I could use that information to make an informed decision as to ordering it elsewhere or not. Came out of that experience, my first call to a consumer reseller in quite a few years, amused. No clue whether they have the item in stock or not. Two days later, tracking numbers finally arrive at my inbox. Memory received the next day. Case and power supply due to arrive tomorrow, one week after ordering. To add insult and irony, my orders from this company were the only ones where I purchased ‘upgraded’ shipping. Don’t know why, must have liked the color of the pop-up offering it. Will avoid these people in the future. Too bad, for their prices on my particular items can’t be beat. Rating: 5 out of 10, contingent on the rest of my order arriving tomorrow.

Overall, the pricing at all three vendors were superb. Even the processing and shipping time from the worst of the three is still acceptable to me – what made the experience sub par with Buy.com was the conflicting information sent regarding their stock and the boilerplate gibberish they have their customer service reps read.

Take care,