HP Pentium M SFF.....$350

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

HP Pentium M SFF.....$350

Post by Bluefront » Mon May 14, 2007 2:31 am

Link

Good deal here. I've heard these things running before.....fairly quiet. I'd be tempted to remove the PSU, and use a 12Ow PICO. It comes with 2gb DDR2 which is worth 1/3 the cost of the thing. These Pentium M chips draw very little current and run cool. This could be the basis for a really quiet system.

dougz

Post by dougz » Mon May 14, 2007 5:52 am

I concur about the quiet. Checked these out at retail when they were current.

Pretty good deal, but integrated video & VGA-only. Single PCI (size?), occupied by modem. Not an expandable machine. No OS (a feature for some of us).

Vendor (geeks.com) is reliable, in my experience. I've bought used & closeouts from them.

HP web site usually makes finding technical specs & manuals easy.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon May 14, 2007 6:47 am

Pentium M 1.7Ghz with DDR2? Sure it's not DDR?

It's cute, but what is the situation on the internals like? Obviously the PSU is going to have a small fan; what about the CPU? Also, is there any space for a hard drive suspension? (It wouldn't matter to me since I'd convert it into a diskless workstation; maybe even a thin client.)

Maybe it'd be worth ripping out the components and putting them into a larger mATX or ATX case.

qviri

Post by qviri » Mon May 14, 2007 7:25 am

IsaacKuo wrote:Pentium M 1.7Ghz with DDR2? Sure it's not DDR?
Well, for the Intel systems the type of RAM to be used depends on the chipset, not the CPU. I know of at least one laptop that uses a Pentium M and DDR2, so it's definitely been done.

However, 2 GB of DDR2 is worth $80 at most these days, and that's if it's 667 MHz... this machine likely has 533 MHz, which is even cheaper.