HOT! Cooler Master GeminII CPU Cooler from Newegg - $15 AR

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ken5d

HOT! Cooler Master GeminII CPU Cooler from Newegg - $15 AR

Post by Ken5d » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:01 am

Are these huge things not selling? I'm not up-to-date on how well they've done in tests. Hard to believe they are good for this price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... %2bGeminII

$15 AR, free shipping. Wow.

Felger Carbon

Re: HOT! Cooler Master GeminII CPU Cooler from Newegg - $15

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:50 am

Ken5d wrote:Are these huge things not selling?
I own two, and neither are in current use. First, they are very good low air flow quiet HSFs, absolutely not suitable for the gaming/overclocking crowd - which most of the secondary market for HSFs is. Second, that's a 5.5" square cooling grid, which is frickin' big, and it's difficult to get at mobo stuff under its "umbrella".

So, for different reasons, after trying it the big overclock crowd won't recommend it, and neither will the small SPCR crowd. :(

buzzlightyear

Post by buzzlightyear » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:35 pm

When the price drops again to $15 AR, I wouldn't help myself. Got one this morning. Don't really have a good reason for doing that.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:50 am

buzzlightyear wrote:When the price drops again to $15 AR, I wouldn't help myself. Got one this morning. Don't really have a good reason for doing that.
That sounds familiar: When you get it cheap, buy it and think its purpouse later. Especially when it comes to components. That is why I got now 3 extra Nexus fans ( I found cheap retailer, who quiet business though ) and 2 extra Heatsinks.

JaYp146

Post by JaYp146 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:06 am

This thing's been known to put strain on motherboards (size/weight being the two variables) ... bends them a bit, from what I've seen.

Good heatsink, though - especially at Newegg's price!

Lanx

Post by Lanx » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:59 pm

i just built a rig w/ this cooler, i posted in the gallery section.
viewtopic.php?t=42376

about the cooler.

i'm using 2 yate loons, that almost never turn on (speedfan, desired cpu temp 40). it's also an amd x2 1.9 overclocked to 2.9.

i just lapped this heatsink(and the amd heatspreader) and the cpu temp is now down to 33c idle (all these temps are idle so far)

is it big? oh yea i got it b/c well the rebate was very tempting and it's pretty high quality(the artic cooling that i tried to lap took forever, as opposed to this relatively simple lapping of this behemouth).

i mean w/ the right fan and speedfan enabled, it's pretty quiet, it's pretty massive and yea it blocks the ram slots(who changes ram all the time anyway?)